Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I ensure that I messages doesn't send SMS texts when travelling abroad

Going abroad soon and am trying to figure out how to be able to receive texts with both the phone and messages and be able to reply to the ones that use messages services, but not risk it using SMS text services.

i.e. I don't want to get billed for texts by accident.

Surprised how hard it's been to find info about this. Could just be that it's hard to google…

Thanks!

iPod Mini-OTHER, Famous "steampunked" 1 (google it!)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 12:36 PM

9 replies

Apr 2, 2015 2:38 PM in response to matt1g

Hi,

On your iPhone when you enable the Messages app it can do two things from the Start.

Send iMessages (Blue) to Apple and iOS able Contacts and SMS (Green) to others.

Of course now you can link your Mac an iPhone to see those SMS texts on your Mac as well.

You could turn SMS/MMS off on the iPhone for periods until you at your Mac and then Accept them on both.

After that you have the dilemma about which you can reply to as some will only be SMS. (you will need to turn SMS Off again to force the Mac to try iMessages).

Apart from looking at other SMS services I am not sure there is anything other that this hopping in an out method.

User uploaded file

9:19 pm Wednesday; April 1, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Apr 1, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I see. Thanks. Would be nice of Apple to implement the iMessage only setting "properly" and prevent all outgoing sms's. Thought that there might be some work-around using restrictions or something. But added with the complications with syncing messages between iPhone and Mac and resyncing them after you have changed the settings back to normal, the whole process seems a bit convoluted.

How do I ensure that I messages doesn't send SMS texts when travelling abroad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.