Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5GHz connects but not 2.5GHz

I have a curious problem with my Airport Extreme. I bought it used about a year ago so I am sure I won't get Apple's support on this.

So, about a couple of weeks ago, my iPhone 6 plus won't transfer data or very slow. When I use data transfer measuring app, it doesn't even do a Mb/sec. But it's erratic, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

My iMac and MacBook Pro have no problems connecting and when I do the speed test, it averages out at about 45Mb/s upload and 8 Mb/s.

So, I looked in to it and found that my Macs are on the 5GHz connection and my iPhone was on the 2.5GHz connection. Just to test it out, I connected my iMac to the 2.5GHz connection and it just throttles. When I connect the iPhone to the 5GHz connection, it rocks.

Well, the story is, what can I do to fix this, if at all? I know my warranty isn't valid as I bought this used and I am sure the warranty expired anyways. I can't afford to buy a new one at this time but would like to get if fixed. Any suggestion?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), MacBook Pro, iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 1:55 PM

4 replies

Mar 31, 2015 3:20 PM in response to ebenmac

Which exact model of the AirPort Extreme did you buy? The fact that your Macs are also affected when connected to the 2.4 GHz network tells me at least there are two possibilities: 1) There is significant Wi-Fi interference on that band ... which is typical, and/or 2) The 2.4 GHz radio in your base station is faulty.

Apr 1, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Tesserax

To tell you the truth, I don't know which model. I check the product and there is very little information on it. Using the Airport Utility doesn't know the model number, only the serial number. If you can tell me where to look, that would be great.

I checked the interference part. I changed the channel from auto to one of several options and it doesn't help. There are only 3-4 routers I see on wireless so I don't think that's the issue.

I am leaning towards your second option. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to replace the unit. I guess I will just keep using the 5GHz only. Well, it's too bad as sometimes the 5GHz option doesn't show up on my iPhone. When I turn the wifi off and then turn it back on, I see it but it's a bit of a hassle.

Thanks for your suggestions.

5GHz connects but not 2.5GHz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.