Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes deleted my back up?

Yesterday, I backed up my iPhone 5C because I took it to the Apple store for service.

They updated my iPhone and had to deleted some photos because of this. (Needed Space)

Today I wanted to restore from yesterdays backup and it didn't let me because my phone "didn't have any free space"

So I backed up my iPhone again to delete MORE photos,

Now today's back up only shows, but not Yesterdays.

What gives?

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 3:32 PM

5 replies

Mar 31, 2015 4:18 PM in response to Crrsclx

It keeps exactly one active (unarchived) backup per device, until you perform a restore, or you choose to delete it.

From Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes

Learn more

Only app data from App Store apps and sync settings will be restored to your device when you:

• Restore your iPad from an iPhone or iPod touch backup.
  • Restore your iPhone or iPod touch from an iPad backup.

iTunes creates an archived, time-stamped backup when you:

• Restore from backup.
  • Erase or restore a device you previously backed up and choose to set up as new in iTunes. If you use a different iTunes library (another user account or another computer) and select Setup as New or Restore from an existing backup, iTunes overrides the non-archived backup the next time you connect the device to your primary iTunes library and sync automatically is enabled.
  • Right-click a backup, and select Archive. (Available in iTunes for Mac only.)

You may have older backups from previous restores or device upgrades, but there is still only one active backup. Unless you restored the device after backing it up yesterday, then today's backup simply updated the active backup for the device, which is why you don't see anything with yesterday's date on it.

tt2

iTunes deleted my back up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.