Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphotos cannot be found or placed from photoshop

Purchased new macbook pro. Migrated iphoto library. No problem. Imported several new photos from iphone to iphoto yesterday. They appear in iPhoto, and clicking edit will open them in photoshop. However, they cannot be placed in photoshop (or indesign) by searching for the photo filename. When I did somehow find one in the finder it was in a folder with gobbledygook, that longer appears to follow the dating convention.

iPhoto '11, iOS 8.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 3:00 PM

6 replies

Mar 31, 2015 3:05 PM in response to jcm77

Nothing can be placed "in photoshop". It's not a place. To get something to Photo shop you set it as an external editor. Be sure when saving that the file is saved in the same format as the one sent over by iPhoto. Photoshop often defaults to saving this as psd.

For help accessing your photos in iPhoto see this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

Mar 31, 2015 3:20 PM in response to jcm77

Using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop or Photoshop Elememts as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

With Photoshop Elements the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Screenshots are from PSE 10

Note 1: to switch between iPhoto and PS or PSE as the editor of choice Control (right)-click on the thumbnail and select either Edit in iPhoto or Edit in External Editor from the contextual menu. If you use iPhoto to edit more than PSE re-select iPhoto in the iPhoto General preference pane. Then iPhoto will be the default editor and you can use the contextual menu to select PSE for your editor when desired.

Note 2: editing a RAW file with either PSE or PS creates a new file which must be saved outside of iPhoto, i.e. the Desktop, and imported as a new photo into the iPhoto Library.

User uploaded file

Mar 31, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Yer_Man

Perhaps I didn't communicate well. In the photoshop menu, under Edit, there is a Place command, which will bring a photo into ps. I used to select place, then type the filename to place the photo, and it would lead me to the folder where the original or modified photo was stored, which I could then place in photoshop. (or indesign). And I could see exactly how/where the photo was stored, e.g., iPhoto Library > Modified > 2015 > Mar 27, 2015 > IMG_5796.

NOW, I can select place, but the filename cannot be found by typing in the filename. I tried opening from photoshop and resaving an image. I then searched and found a bizarre naming convention (each of these is a folder):

Previews > 2015 > 3 > 30 > 20150330-181615 > 101AgU%PSCye52lbjJOxfg > IMG_5822.

Hope this makes more sense because I'd really like an answer.

iphotos cannot be found or placed from photoshop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.