Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Antivirus Software that is best for Mac

Hello. I know some of you may say you need none, but I all of your opinions on the best one as of now, I don't believe cnet or anyone else with this kind of stuff. I wanna hear from what users like you thought, ClamXav I heard was good, especially the newest website version not the app store one. Anyway hope yall can help. I have yosemite software version, 10.10.2.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 4:14 PM

None. There are no viruses in the wild that affect OS X. There is adware out there, but antivirus software won't stop that. Only common sense will.

Don't bother. Antivirus software on a Mac causes more harm than good. The best it can do is stop you from forwarding a Windows virus that you got via email or download to a PC user.

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 4:14 PM in response to marcokhazaeepou

None. There are no viruses in the wild that affect OS X. There is adware out there, but antivirus software won't stop that. Only common sense will.

Don't bother. Antivirus software on a Mac causes more harm than good. The best it can do is stop you from forwarding a Windows virus that you got via email or download to a PC user.

Mar 31, 2015 4:33 PM in response to marcokhazaeepou

Absolutely none.

Antivirus software is NOT needed if the Mac you are running is only running OS X. Antivirus apps interfere with normal performance and operation of a Mac because they program too many controls into the main OS X system software impacting general performance of your Mac.

Here are some of my tidbits of advice on how to avoid viruses in the future, if you encounter a virus, again.

Some anti-virus solutions can slow down your Mac, but to be honest, the best anit-virus app is you, the user and your brain.

Don't visit questionable websites or website you are unsure about.

Don't use Torrents or engage in "Torrenting"

Don't install pirated software or software downloaded from a questionable or unknown websites or untrutsted sources.

Java is still a vulnerability concern, if you do not need it, don't use it.

Use a browser filter and pop-up blocker

Don't open email attachments from email addresses that you do not recognize.

Install security updates when they become available

Educate yourself as to what threats are common and active.

In effect, use your own brain as the antivirus filter.

Follow that advise and in MOST cases, you will be fine and won't risk your Mac to potential Trojans, malware or viruses.

If you feel you need some baseline virus protection that is minimally invasive on the Mac OS X system, install

ClamXAV

http://www.clamxav.com/

Mar 31, 2015 5:22 PM in response to marcokhazaeepou

You may believe that there are virus for Mac but no one here believes that.

It is an absolute certainty that AV software will cause problems and do nothing good in return for that.

The chances for virus are so slim as to be nonexistent.

So you are going to take a chance with software that is known to cause problems to solve a problem most likely doesn't even exist.

Your logic escapes me.

Mar 31, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Allan Eckert

"Most people who say Macs don’t need anti-virus software do so on the belief that Mac OS X protects you against all threats already. This has never been entirely true, and there have been recent findings that suggest that security features mentioned in the previous section are not as bulletproof as most people want to believe. There have been a number of recent cases of malware failing to be blocked by XProtect [1, 2, 3]."http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg-antivirus/

Antivirus Software that is best for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.