Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Server Active Directory

I installed and setup OS X Server 4.0.3 and is working using File Sharing and users. The client computers are Windows 7, i can map network drive from the windows 7 computers and get files in certain directories. But, is there a way i can get it to work the way Active Directory works. I want to be able to logoff one windows 7 computer and login to a different windows 7 computer and be able to be authenticated on the network using the ID and password created on the OS X Server.

Is there a way to do this? I've done many searches and there is a lot of conflicting information that it can and cannot be done.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 5:10 PM

2 replies

Mar 31, 2015 9:53 PM in response to anthonyfromphoenix

OS X Server can not act as an Active Directory domain controller. Not since OS X Server 10.6 could this happen and back then OS X Server could only emulate NT Style Domains. Thus, you can not bind Windows workstations to OS X Server 10.10 (Server 4.x).

If you are looking to build a centralized domain, the best tool for a mixed platform environment is actually Active Directory. OS X can bind to AD and works very well in this capacity. Windows can bind to AD. You get centralized user and group management, authentication and authorization, password policy, group management, and single sign-on. Group policy does not apply to Macs as we luckily do not have a registry.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Apr 1, 2015 5:24 AM in response to anthonyfromphoenix

Apple's server software used to be able to act as a Windows NT style 'Primary Domain Controller', it has never been able to act as an Active Directory server. While related they are not the same thing.

There are three possible ways that in theory you could make a Mac in to an Active Directory server -

1. Install SAMBA 4.0 in OS X and set it up as an Active Directory server, this also requires setting up a DNS server and a DHCP server to match with support for dynamic DNS records, the built-in Mac DNS server called BIND in theory can do dynamic DNS records but the built-in DHCP server cannot
  2. Setup a Linux virtual machine running on the Mac, e.g. via VirtualBox, then install SAMBA 4.0 and again set it up and the DNS and DHCP servers as above
  3. Install Windows Server (the real thing) either via Boot Camp or by running it in a virtual machine

OSX Server Active Directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.