Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i use iMessage on 2 iPhones?

I have 2 iphone 6's (work and personal). I want iMessages to be mirrored on both phones. I have 1 apple ID on both and both phone numbers listed on both, so 2 phone numbers and 1 apple id on each. I am not using forwarding. It works great for a few days but eventually iMessage hangs up and i eventually have to shut down the phone and turn iMessage back on. When is gets hung up, i can't even turn iMessage back on. it seemed to work fine for a while, so not sure why it stopped. anyone now the proper way to set this up?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 5:35 PM

Sounds like you have everything set up right. Both phones logged into the same AppleID, both numbers registered with iMessage and listed on both phones, and in Messages -> Send & Receive you would have both numbers checked, That should work. My wife and I share an AppleID and that is the configuration we have (although we uncheck each others numbers).

If that is how you have it, and Messages is freezing, you might need to reload IOS.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 5:35 PM in response to brianfromnew hope

Sounds like you have everything set up right. Both phones logged into the same AppleID, both numbers registered with iMessage and listed on both phones, and in Messages -> Send & Receive you would have both numbers checked, That should work. My wife and I share an AppleID and that is the configuration we have (although we uncheck each others numbers).

If that is how you have it, and Messages is freezing, you might need to reload IOS.

Mar 31, 2015 7:09 PM in response to AntonLargiader

i think the difference is i have both numbers checked, so both phones will get the same messages if either number gets a text or iMessage. i suspect thats the conflict. the phone doesn't lock-up, just iMessage does. i was going t try the text message forwarding feature, but someone at an apple store said the text forwarding feature in iMessage is only for phones to forward to non-phone devices, but i may test that out to see if i get a different result. this has worked ok for a few years and recently stopped working - wonder if it's iOS8.2....

how do i use iMessage on 2 iPhones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.