Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I believe my macbook pro hard drive is bad. I erased the drive and reinstalled the OS and the macbook still runs really slow. I dont know if the hard drive is the issue.

I believe my macbook pro hard drive is bad. I erased the drive and reinstalled the OS and the macbook still runs really slow. I dont know if the hard drive is the issue.

MacBook Pro, iOS 8

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 4:08 PM

16 replies

Mar 31, 2015 6:00 PM in response to seamoose12

If you reproduce the problem with a clean installation of OS X, no other software installed and nothing restored from a backup, and with no peripherals connected, then it's caused by an internal hardware fault or by corrupt SMC data. To rule out the latter, see below.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

Apr 1, 2015 12:28 AM in response to seamoose12

It could be the hard drive, the drive cable, or it may need a reset. The following links may help you out:

Hard Drive Problems

How to reset your Mac's NVRAM, PRAM, and SMC | Macworld

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management ...

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

MacBook Pro's are known to have some SATA cable issues, but I'm not sure which models they effect. A cable problem can be elusive because it can generate I/O errors in the log files just like a bad sector on a hard drive.

Apr 1, 2015 12:53 AM in response to seamoose12

Very often when a new drive is installed the system won't recognize it until the system is reset. From the NVRAM reset link I posted above, here's a quote:

Information stored in NVRAM can include:

• Speaker volume
  • Screen resolution
  • Startup disk selection
  • Recent kernel panic information, if any

As you can see, startup disk selection is in that list. I suspect the NVRAM is retaining information about the old drive but not the new drive.

Apr 1, 2015 3:01 AM in response to seamoose12

Did you try an SMC reset too? It's easily done and none of those resets to the best of my knowledge hurt anything. When I was fooling with my system, which at one point was a home made Fusion setup, I needed to reset the SMC sometimes to get the drives recognized. Reading the documentation the sudden motion sensor is drive related but that seems to be about it.

Some more specifics may be needed about the drive itself, the model number of your unit, and the OS version you're running.

At present, the problem seems sort of odd to me. FWIW cable problems can be quite intermittent. I used Scannerz to find some of the problems on my original system that I later converted to a new HD and SSD combo. It can find lots of problems if you learn how to use it right (HD problems, logic board system faults, and cable problems) but you need to get a system at least partially up and running to use it, and it doesn't sound to me like your there right now (in other words, don't go out and buy it because at this point I don't know how it could help you)

Another word of advice would be to not go out and start throwing parts at a problem unless you have a good idea what the source of the problem is. If you have a logic board problem, new drives and new cables won't make it go away, you'll just be wasting your money. Logic board problems, cable problems, and drive problems can all have very similar end user symptoms. The article that I linked above named "Hard Drive Problems" has a section on general symptoms of problems and if you read the article it becomes clear there's a lot of overlap associated with different types of problems.

I assume that your unit isn't under warranty. If, by chance it is I wouldn't even fool with it and I'd take it to Apple and let them deal with the problem. You also might want to check with whatever Apple sources you have available to test your system, like an Apple store, and see how much they'll charge (if anything) to evaluate the system.

I certainly hope this helps.

Apr 1, 2015 9:42 AM in response to MrWilliams201

I have now conducted an SMC reset but it still doesn't see the new hard drive in disk utility, Every time I start it up it goes to internet connection, internet recovery, disk utility then the hard drive does not show up on the list to format. It is a MacBook pro 2012, the hard drive is a WD Hard drive 500 GB model # wdbmyh500anc. I bought it at frys yesterday and they said it was the correct hard drive. The MacBook is no longer under warranty. It was purchased at Best Buy with an extended warranty but is no longer under warranty. It was taken to the geek squad who advised that the hard drive was no good. I have already lost Microsoft office because the hard drive is bad and would not work even after reformatting it. I don't know why the hard drive is not showing up but I did read something about WD hard drives having issues in mac applications. Not sure what else to do.

Thanks

Apr 1, 2015 10:10 AM in response to lllaass

Western Digital

Registered Product: WDBMYH5000ANC

Serial Number: WX41A25PKU1T

Model number of the back of the hard drive is WD500lpvx.

I am on the line with their product support right now but they were not able to assist. They said either the hard drive is not compatible or is damaged and I may need to return it. I'm just afraid of having the same issue with another one. I did find something online that was about the driver that the hard drive comes with may not be recognized by the laptop but I have done all the reset steps.

Apr 1, 2015 10:23 AM in response to seamoose12

I think you left a zero out

WD5000LPVXSATA 6 Gb/s2.5 Inch7.0 mm5400500 GB

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=800#Tab3

In any event it should work provided the HD is not defective.

Are you sure that the connector is fully connected?

Other than that the drive is defective since when you reconnect the old drive Disk Utility sees the old drive.

Apr 1, 2015 10:28 AM in response to lllaass

Sorry I did leave a zero out. I can take it back and have them test it or perhaps get a different brand. Any suggestions of drives that are definitely compatible? It had a Toshiba in it maybe I should go back to that. My other issue is that when I bought It at best buy years ago I got it as an open box item and there is no start up disk of CD/DVD. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

Thanks,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.