Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Keynote '08 files for use with 6.5.2.

I have some older Keynote presentations I made in Keynote '08 (v 4.0.4) on my iBook/G4 running OS X 10.4.11. As that machine's slowly dying, I recently bought a 2013 MBA Apple Refurb running Yosemite 10.10.2 and Keynote 6.5.2. But I still have uses for those Keynote files.

When I went to open my presentations on my MBA, the message I get is "This presentation can't be opened because it's too old. To open it, save it with Keynote '09 first.

I found boxed versions of iWork '09 on Amazon for around $22. And the seller notes that "The install DVD says... System requirements: Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (500MHz or faster) processor 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) 32MB of video memory Mac OS X v10.4.11, or Mac OS X v10.5.6 or later."
So I assume it's a universal binary. I think I would first try to install it on the old iBook if possible (it has issues), and just use it to open and re-save the files. There aren't that many files and I have no other uses for a older version of the suite.

But if I end up having to install it on my newer Air I have questions....

1. Will the '09 app create any conflicts with my newer version of Keynote?

2 And if I uninstall it form the MBA after converting those files, will it leave any junk around that could create problems for me?

Finally, whichever Mac I install it on, am I likely to run into registration/authorization issues with software from this era....??

Any input appreciated, thanks.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4), 12" iBook G4 1.33, Tiger 10.4.11

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 3:56 PM

Keynote 6.5 should open version 4 files, I have many version 3 files which 6.5 opens perfectly

No. I have Keynote version 5.3 and 6.5 running without any issues.

2 And if I uninstall it form the MBA after converting those files, will it leave any junk around that could create problems for me?

No. You can leave it installed for further use.

am I likely to run into registration/authorization issues with software from this era....??

If you have a a valid install disc and a valid registration code, it will work.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 3:56 PM in response to Bigpics

Keynote 6.5 should open version 4 files, I have many version 3 files which 6.5 opens perfectly

No. I have Keynote version 5.3 and 6.5 running without any issues.

No. You can leave it installed for further use.

am I likely to run into registration/authorization issues with software from this era....??

If you have a a valid install disc and a valid registration code, it will work.

Apr 1, 2015 4:29 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks for the helpful info - and I'll be taking action based on it.

However, I tried a number of my old presentations after you said you'd been been able to open files from versions 3 and 4 with version 6.x, and just to verify the problem I'm having, this is the error message I get from 6.5.2 when I try to open any of my old 4.0.4 Keynotes:

User uploaded file

And this surprised me as I did not expect Apple would abandon even conversion compatibility with files from prior versions this quickly.

I wonder why it would vary between your Mac and mine....???

Anyway, I also verified that the old files would still open on my venerable iBook, and finally, this is my version of Keynote...

User uploaded file

Apr 13, 2015 7:11 AM in response to kipjryan

kipjryan you are completely misinformed.

There is no free trial of Keynote 09 available, it was removed when Keynote 6.0 was released.

Keynote 09 is no longer available from Apple, but can be purchased as part of iWorks 09 on DVD from Amazon or Ebay.

Keynote 09 in fact runs succsesfully in Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, and Snow Leopard.

When testing the presentation from bigpics, I used both Mavericks and Yosemite to open the file in Keynote 09 perfectly.

You now have the solution to open Keynote 08 files in any version of Mac OS from Snow Leopard onwards.

Apr 13, 2015 8:55 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thank you Gary - this is what all the literature says. BUT I have Keynote 09. I reloaded it and when I tried to open it I got the message that that software was not compatible with the current system software. It wont open.

Cheers

PS Keynote 09 demo is still available for download though not from Apple. From here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Business/Apple-iWork-06.shtml

Apr 13, 2015 11:06 AM in response to kipjryan

Keynote 09 trial is not available as a download from any source as of this date, the website you link to states this, a link takes to the Mac App Store for Keynote version 6.5

Keynote 09 runs perfectly in Mac OS Snow Leopard up to Yosemite. I have it running now in Yosemite re-editing a previous job.

If you are unable to install Keynote 09 in these versions you have a serious system error, reinstalling the OS will correct this.

May 11, 2015 1:44 PM in response to kipjryan

I didn't try your link but bought an "advertised as new" copy of iWorks '09 on Amazon for about $23. Looked legit and no issues installing on Yosemite 10.10.3.

Considering that I put in over 100 hours on one critical presentation in Keynote '08, a bargain in my book.

And my successful conversion experience is described in a reply to Gary

May 11, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks for all your help! You helped me save at least 100 hours of work on one file alone.

I successfully installed the advertised-as-new copy of iWorks '09 I bought on Amazon for about $23. (And was never asked for a serial number during the install). I was then able to instantly open and automatically convert the '08 version of my (huge and complicated) presentation to the '09 version - with everything intact and looking identical to the original - all the fonts, transitions, images, etc. (I saved a duplicate of the '08 original just in case.)

Next, opening that converted file in 6.5.3 actually took awhile - and returned these messages:

This Keynote presentation may look different

Here’s what changed when you opened it in the new version of Keynote:

Convergence builds were imported as Dissolve (slide 20)

Placeholder images couldn’t be downloaded

I did have to do some slight editing of text that now overran line length, but "Dissolve" seems to work as nicely as "Convergence" ever did. And all of the transitions seem to be there, although I'm apparently going to have re-time some for some reason.

So I don't even know what "placeholder images" are missing, or even what that means, but don't see a problem, or if there is one I later notice with more scrutiny, feel I should be able to edit my way around it. On the plus side, some of the thematic elements seem upgraded, but I only did one complete run-through, so that's just a first take.

In any case, after two conversions, there's less work to do than I anticipated might be necessary. I do think Apple could have provided more info on this themselves, and thank my stars that you were out there in the support community to bail me out.

And again, I saved a new copy of the 6.5.3 file, so I now have all three versions - at least for now - should I need them

NOTE: The "new old" apps I installed don't appear in Launchpad. I found them in a folder inside of the Applications folder called "iWork '09" - which I assume explains this. I didn't take them out of the folder as I don't expect I'll be using them - other than for possible future conversions of my limited number of iWorks app files from that period.

Bottom line: Problem solved!

Updating Keynote '08 files for use with 6.5.2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.