Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS Questions

I Have read something's that I can't fully understand or seems to contradict each other...in one article I have read about Primary & Secondary DNS Severs And how all the secondary server needs is zones for the primary zone...in another I have read the same but on the primary you must list an A Record and Nameserver record in the primary zone on the primary DNS...and to also create a reverse Namerserver record for the secondary DNS...which is right?

if I were to run Mail on my secondary DNS, would I create a primary zone on the secondary server for example.com and then create mail records or do I make all the settings on the primary server and just have the secondary transfer the DNS records?

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 9:47 PM

All DNS settings are done on the primary DNS server. All others are secondary and thus are simple unmodifiable replicas. On the primary, you need to create a forward and reverse zone. Think of this as a phone book. You want one zone that when asked for a name gives a number (www.apple.com = 17.0.23.23). You also want a zone that can do the opposite. When you ask for a number, you get a name (17.0.23.23 = www.apple.com). A secondary DNS server serves two main objectives. The first is to provide redundancy for the primary. If the primary fails (and clients are configured to query the secondary) name resolution will continue on one of the secondaries. The second function is to allow the promotion to master should the master fail.

So, you can run services on any device you would like as long as DNS gets the client to the machine.

Create your forward and reverse zones on the device that is your primary DNS. Then enter all your DNS records into that unit. This is your A, PTR, CNAME, MX, etc. Validate. Trust but verify. Confirm that you are getting the results that you want. Once you do, then setup your secondary. Then test it. On the secondary you need to create two secondary zones. Make sure zone transfer is enabled on the primary.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 9:47 PM in response to JeremyR3784

All DNS settings are done on the primary DNS server. All others are secondary and thus are simple unmodifiable replicas. On the primary, you need to create a forward and reverse zone. Think of this as a phone book. You want one zone that when asked for a name gives a number (www.apple.com = 17.0.23.23). You also want a zone that can do the opposite. When you ask for a number, you get a name (17.0.23.23 = www.apple.com). A secondary DNS server serves two main objectives. The first is to provide redundancy for the primary. If the primary fails (and clients are configured to query the secondary) name resolution will continue on one of the secondaries. The second function is to allow the promotion to master should the master fail.

So, you can run services on any device you would like as long as DNS gets the client to the machine.

Create your forward and reverse zones on the device that is your primary DNS. Then enter all your DNS records into that unit. This is your A, PTR, CNAME, MX, etc. Validate. Trust but verify. Confirm that you are getting the results that you want. Once you do, then setup your secondary. Then test it. On the secondary you need to create two secondary zones. Make sure zone transfer is enabled on the primary.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

DNS Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.