Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I deleted a song I didn't want on my i-pod and all my songs disappeared. Help!

I decided to delete a song I didn't want, so I deleted first on my iTunes playlist, and then on my i-Pod. Then my i-pod showed No Content. I looked at my device on iTunes and while all the songs still display, when I click on a song, an exclamation mark displays. How did they all get deleted and can I get the songs back? I've deleted songs countless times before and this never happened! And doesn't backing up your -i-Pod save songs as well? I did one on 3/26, but when I tried to restore, the songs still weren't there. So what's the point of backing up? i-Pod model is MC008LL, version 5.5.1. I had over 500 songs on this device. Help!

iPod touch (3rd generation), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 2:11 AM

The iPod backup that iTunes makes does not include any synced media like apps and music.

The ! indicates that the actual music file can't be found.

Get playable songs into your iTunes library and then:

- Unsync/delete all music and resync

To delete all music go to Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage>Music>Tap edit in upper right and then tap the minus sign by All Music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 2:11 AM in response to scifidi

The iPod backup that iTunes makes does not include any synced media like apps and music.

The ! indicates that the actual music file can't be found.

Get playable songs into your iTunes library and then:

- Unsync/delete all music and resync

To delete all music go to Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage>Music>Tap edit in upper right and then tap the minus sign by All Music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Apr 1, 2015 8:12 AM in response to lllaass

I think I'm in trouble. My i-Tunes playlist is also displaying ⚠ marks. I guess this means everything is gone? There's nothing playable. I still don't know how this happened. I deleted one song. I've done this a thousand times and never encountered this problem. I started using i-Cloud backup to save space on my MacBook Air, but I guess backing up to my computer or on an external hard drive is the only solution? There should be some kind of extra security steps to prevent this kind of thing from happening. I had over 500 songs saved, and from what I've been seeing, I'm not the only person who's had this issue of songs vanishing.

Apr 1, 2015 9:19 AM in response to scifidi

Same thing just happened to me! I had 9 audiobooks on my iPod, they all showed up when I hooked the iPod up to iTunes, I deleted 3 chapters, and now ALL of the audiobooks (and a lot of music as well) have exclamation points next to the names in iTunes, and have totally disappeared from my iPod. ***.

I get it that I can redownload the stuff from iTunes. I want to know (1) how my stuff just went 'POOF' and (2) how to avoid this happening in the future!!!???

Thank you.

I deleted a song I didn't want on my i-pod and all my songs disappeared. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.