Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backup to External hard-drive moved to new Time Capsule

I have been backing up one of my MacBooks to an external hard drive attached to a 1st Generation Time Capsule. I recently bought a new Time Capsule and plugged the external hard drive into this new Time Capsule.

I renamed the Time Capsule (but not the external drive) and didn't realize that this would stop my Macbook from finding and recognizing the external drive that it's always successfully backed up to. It seems to be using the Time Capsule name as part of the file path and therefore can't find it's way to the same old drive hooked up to this new TC.

Is there a way to point my Time Machine backup to the external drive that's attached to the new TC and have it automatically resume backing up (without starting fresh)? Or do I need to rename my Time Capsule so that it exactly matches the old name.

I hope this makes sense. I just don't want to have to start a fresh/new backup.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 7:56 PM

1 reply

Mar 31, 2015 11:11 PM in response to teacher24_70

Reset TM and point it to the hard disk connected to the new TC.

TM will say it will start a new backup in 2min.. but in fact when it starts it will discover the old backup and continue backing up to it.

You just have to work on blind faith.. it will give no indication of success until it starts the backup.. right up to that point it will say it is doing a new backup.

backup to External hard-drive moved to new Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.