Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Safari 5.1.10 to Safari 6.0

I access Yahoo Mail with Safari 5.1.10 on my iMac OS X, Version 10.6.8 (possibly also known as Snow Leopard?) How can I obtain free Safari update, probably to Safari 6.0? Seems to be necessary for much current emailing.

Thanks,

Barite

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Have Safari 5.1.10

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:32 PM

Except by upgrading to Yosemite, there are no further free Safari updates for your system.

(125248)

4 replies

Apr 2, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

Thank you very much for your 2 email responses to my question re upgrading my Safari 5.1.10.

Your first email described what to me seems like a very involved process for a computer novice like me. My problem is simply that when accessing Yahoo Mail I receive a message telling me that they no longer support Safari 5.1.10 and that what I receive now is Basic Mail. The "Basic" Mail still delivers the emails to me. I did notice when trying to reply to a couple of incoming emails that my message was printed, but that was followed by many lines of gobbley gook (letters and symbols with no meaning to me). All I want to do is to obtain a Mac-type browser that would allow proper working of Yahoo Mail. One other responder to my question said that all I had to do was to download free Yosemite, and did not mention having to upgrade the computer itself. Sounded fairly simple, compared to the more elaborate procedures that you have outlined. For only the matter of getting Yahoo Mail restored to working order, do you think it would be possible by the one-step procedure of downloading Yosemite?

Your second email suggestion is very good - in fact I already have a working version of Mozilla Firefox. I have not used it since, as set up, it takes a couple of extra steps to get it going. I was hoping to get a newer version Mac browser, holding Firefox in reserve as a backup.

Thanks again,

Barite

Apr 2, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Barite

You are welcome. Yosemite will give you Safari 8.0.4, which should allow you access to Yahoo mail. Yosemite is different than Snow Leopard, so you might want to try it before replacing 10.6. Yosemite doesn't act like Snow Leopard. For example, scrolling is reversed, but can be changed. If you spend enough time in System Preferences, you can get the OS to be mostly like Snow Leopard.

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Update Safari 5.1.10 to Safari 6.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.