Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto doesn't show thumbnails of videos.

When I connect my Sony Handycam HDD, iPhoto opens and a series of video clips are shown in the Device. However these frames are blank and have no image so I can't see which video is which for selective importing. Photos taken on the Handicap appear OK.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 8:15 PM

3 replies

Apr 1, 2015 2:39 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence,

The format is AVCHD. The thumbnails appear fine in iMovie but not in iPhoto. My approach was to store all files (photos and video) in iPhoto and use iMovie to import videos for editing and making short films. My thoughts around this were to keep both photos and video associated with an event, such as a birthday, in the one library.

Is there a better way?

Apr 1, 2015 3:05 AM in response to sylvesterhouse

A note on AVCHD: This format was developed for people who are shooting to edit the material afterwards. If you're shooting to edit, then iMovie or Final Cut are the correct home for this material. If you're not shooting to edit consider using one of the other video formats on your Camera.

So, in this case the workflow would be to import to iMovie, edit as required. Output the finished movie and import that to iPhoto.

As I say, if that's not what you want to do, don't shoot to edit.

iPhoto doesn't show thumbnails of videos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.