Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which back up should i use on my macbook pro 2012

I do not have any back up on my Macbook Pro 2012 mid. Should I puchase an air capsule or a differnt type of back up disk? I have years of work that need to be backed up and I have time machine but i need an external disk to be able to use it. Help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, printing

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 7:32 AM

2012 MBP should have USB3 port.. that will give you cheap and good and fast access to a hard disk.. any USB3 formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled can then be used for backup by Time Machine.

Time Capsule works well if you want to use wireless.. it works less well from the Time Machine reliability point of view. The advantage of a USB drive is you can partition it and use the main partition to create a bootable clone.. eg Carbon Copy Cloner.. this will get you out of trouble faster and easier than Time Machine.. and you can also use TM on the second partition so win win.

You can backup important files from your user directory to the cloud.. that gets them safely out of your immediate area.

Think about what happens in the case of fire or theft where the laptop is stolen or destroyed and the backup drive with it. Do you have another USB stored in a safe location? Plan for the worst.. in all likelihood it won't happen but if it does you won't need to come here to cry.

Genius Bar lost a business file. Can't seem to find it in Time Machine...Got Ideas?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 7:32 AM in response to manyjewels

2012 MBP should have USB3 port.. that will give you cheap and good and fast access to a hard disk.. any USB3 formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled can then be used for backup by Time Machine.

Time Capsule works well if you want to use wireless.. it works less well from the Time Machine reliability point of view. The advantage of a USB drive is you can partition it and use the main partition to create a bootable clone.. eg Carbon Copy Cloner.. this will get you out of trouble faster and easier than Time Machine.. and you can also use TM on the second partition so win win.

You can backup important files from your user directory to the cloud.. that gets them safely out of your immediate area.

Think about what happens in the case of fire or theft where the laptop is stolen or destroyed and the backup drive with it. Do you have another USB stored in a safe location? Plan for the worst.. in all likelihood it won't happen but if it does you won't need to come here to cry.

Genius Bar lost a business file. Can't seem to find it in Time Machine...Got Ideas?

Apr 12, 2015 2:29 PM in response to manyjewels

I really would like to learn how to have another back up system.

Go and start now..

This does not have to be the whole hog in one day..

Buy a 1TB WD passport or Toshiba Carvio or whatever neat little 2.5" drive you can find in your local computer store. <$100

And take it home.. plug it into the laptop.. open disk utility.. partition and format it as a mac drive.. (if it is not already).

Just google for how to do it.. easy peasy.

Then use Time Machine to do backup..

Voila.. you now have a local backup.

One day you decide you want a bit more protection buy a 2TB drive.. about $120-140.. can be small or larger 3.5" unit.. USB 3.

Plug it in and partition to two parts.. buy CCC and make a clone to the first partition.. then do TM backup to the second.

Voila, you now have a boot clone where even a dead internal drive on the laptop will not be a problem.. you can boot it from the USB disk.

The thing is.. START.. DO IT NOW.

Happy to provide instructions on any aspect that eludes you.. but start.

which back up should i use on my macbook pro 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.