Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shut off Time Capsle Router

I need a stronger router for my house, can I shut off the router of my time capsule and still use for backing up?

Time Capsule-OTHER, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 8:03 PM

7 replies

Apr 1, 2015 11:23 AM in response to Jeff5757

Yes.

I assume that your next question might be "how"?

In order to provide instructions for you, we would need the make and model number of your new router, and also need to know what operating system that you are using on your Mac or PC.....or....whether you want to set up the Time Capsule with an iPhone or iPad.

You also did not indicate whether you wanted to leave the wireless on at the Time Capsule, or turn that function off. Please clarify on that.

Apr 1, 2015 8:07 PM in response to Jeff5757

Some users prefer to use a Mac for setup and some prefer to use an iPad or iPhone.

We will assume that you want to use your Mac for the setup. Apple wants you to use wireless for the setup, so make sure that the wireless is turned on at your Mac. After the setup, you can connect the Mac using a wired Ethernet cable connection if you wish

Power up the Time Capsule for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 8-10 seoonds and release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the Netgear router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule. This connection must remain permanent.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen, and look for a setting of New AirPort Base Station

Just below that, click on Time Capsule

The example below shows an AirPort Extreme.....you will see Time Capsule on your screen.

User uploaded file

That will get the setup wizard going, and it will take a minute to suggest that the Time Capsule be configured to create a new network. Accept that for now. The screen will look similar to this, except that you will see a Time Capsule on your setup screen.

User uploaded file

Pick any simple name that you want for the Network Name

Pick a name that you want to call the Time Capsule. You can use the same name as you did before, if you wish

Enter a password for the network and Time Capsule

Verify the password

Click Next

The utility will set up everything for you, configuring the Time Cap;sure to operate in Bridge Mode (routing turned off). When you see the message of setup complete, click Done.

That's it for the basic setup. You can now connect your Mac to one of the LAN ports on the Time Capsule if you want to connect that way, or connect using the Netgear wireless network.

If you don't need the second network provided by the Time Capsule, then you can turn off the wireless function as follows:

Open up Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click in the Time Capsule icon, then click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the screen

Change the setting for Network Mode to Off

Click Update at the lower right and give the Time Capsule a minute to restart

User uploaded file

Shut off Time Capsle Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.