Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update Safari on my imac OS X, 10.6.8?

I access Yahoo Mail with Safari 5.1.10 on my iMac OS X, Version 10.6.8 (possibly also known as Snow Leopard?) How can I obtain free Safari update, probably to Safari 6.0 or something higher. Yahoo Mail no longer supports Safari 5.1.10 and other contacts do not work with it either. I do have Microsoft Office 2008 on the computer as I use Microsoft Word for work.

Thanks,

Barite

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Have Safari 5.1.10

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 12:45 AM

Search for, download and install the latest version of Mozilla FireFox.

The current, up-to-date version of FireFox is fully compatible with OS X and is regularly updated by the great developers of the Mozilla group.

5 replies

Apr 1, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Barite

Firefox Link to download.

The only way you can upgrade Safari is to upgrade your operating system. The current version of Safari is 8.0.4 which requires Yosemite. If you want to consider upgrading, check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) model number 7,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Do a backup before installing.

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Apr 1, 2015 9:35 AM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM,

Thank you very much for your response. I actually do have Mozilla Firefox on my Mac (installed a few years ago. I have not used it much. Since Safari seems to work with less steps and I had become familiar with it, I always went to Safari. I may try to install Yosemite as suggested by Niel, but it is certainly good to have a backup method that works.

You can probably tell that I'm not an advanced Mac user, so I really appreciate this user's community and your willingness to help.

Thanks again,

Barite

Apr 2, 2015 9:25 AM in response to Barite

Your logic on this matter escapes me.

You are not very tech/Mac saavy.

The new OS X Yosemite is a completely new operating system that bears little resemblance to the OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard that you are using, now.

You think FireFox is more complicated for you to use than Safari, so, instead of just changing/switching web browsers and learning to use it and know it like you know your older Safari version, you rather spend your time backing up your current system (which you should be doing regularly, anyways), download and install a brand new OS X Yosemite and having to relearn a completely new and more complicated OS X upgrade AND, also, have to relearn the newer Safari browser version.

Does this approach really make more sense to you???

Your choice.

Do what you will, but installing and learning a new web browser seems A LOT easier to me than having to relearn an entire OS and newer Safari.

To each their own.

Good Luck with whatever you decide

Apr 2, 2015 9:25 AM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM,

You are absolutely correct - I have VERY LITTLE tech/Mac savvy. Thus the reason for raising my question.

One responder advised me simply to download free Yosemite, which I assumed was the name of a more modern iMac browser. I did not initially know that the full name is OS X Yosemite, and that it is the name of a completely new operating system. As you explain, it does not appear to make much sense for an uninformed user like me to try to learn a whole new system. With this knowledge, I agree that Firefox is probably my best bet at present.

One other detail - I installed Microsoft Office 2008 on my iMac since I am accustomed to writing reports with Microsoft Word in my work. I would not want to disturb this feature which is still in working order. At work, all employees use PCs, with Microsoft software. And as you can easily guess, I am also have very little tech/PC savvy. After writing technical reports by hand for 40 years, I was finally convinced by a co-worker in 2000 to start using PCs. I have taken no classes, had no training, and just learned piece-by-piece how to use Microsoft on a PC, as if it were a typewriter. Obviously, I struggle a lot with that since Microsoft tries to force me into things I do not want to do on this new-fangled "typewriter."

Thanks much for taking the time to set me straight!

Barite

How do I update Safari on my imac OS X, 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.