Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express Download speed is slow (1.4mps), conpaired to me existing DSL Gateway (15.4mps).

I'am new to using airport express, I am currently using this device to create a new network for all my devices.

My current internet modem is a Technicolor Gateway TG797n V3. My current DSL download speed is 15.4mps.

I have connected the airport express through the ethernet cable from my gateway to the airport and have set a new network up through the default airport utility.

Once the new network was set up my wifi speed through the airport express is at 1.5 mps but if i connect to the Techincolour gateway it is at a speed of 15.5mps.

I have tried resetting it to default settings and followed the instruction that came with the airport but for some reason my speed has dropped. Can anyone help me on how to improve the speed or if i have done anything wrong. Thank you

AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd generation), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Telstra Technicolor Gateway TG797n

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 3:38 AM

It is really important that you get the setup of the express correct.

Do you have the Express set to bridge mode.. that is a must. (You can try a bridged TG797N and use PPPoE on the Express but it is rather less than likely to work well).

On Yosemite I strongly suggest a bunch of setup details..

Use ethernet to the AEx if possible to make sure your issue is purely wireless side... and ensure you have ipv6 set correctly as per point 5.

The best way to test is full factory reset.

Factory reset universal

Power off the AEx.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the AEx to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg AEgen5 for basestation and use AE24ghz and AE5ghz with fixed channels for wireless, as this also seems to help stop the nonsense.

2. Use all passwords that also comply but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. Ensure the AEx always takes the same IP address.. This is a bit tricky in the TG797n, so skip this one for now. If it is still an issue post again for details.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric..

5. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only.

User uploaded file

6. Test speed in the local network.. ie copy a file too and from a computer plugged into the LAN port of the AEx by ethernet to another device running on wireless, if this is ok, then your problem is purely the AEx itself not handling WAN..

There is a lot more jiggery pokery you can try but the above is a good start.. if you find it still unreliable.. don't be surprised.

Post some screenshots of your setup.. it helps loads.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 3:38 AM in response to djmdallas

It is really important that you get the setup of the express correct.

Do you have the Express set to bridge mode.. that is a must. (You can try a bridged TG797N and use PPPoE on the Express but it is rather less than likely to work well).

On Yosemite I strongly suggest a bunch of setup details..

Use ethernet to the AEx if possible to make sure your issue is purely wireless side... and ensure you have ipv6 set correctly as per point 5.

The best way to test is full factory reset.

Factory reset universal

Power off the AEx.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the AEx to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg AEgen5 for basestation and use AE24ghz and AE5ghz with fixed channels for wireless, as this also seems to help stop the nonsense.

2. Use all passwords that also comply but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. Ensure the AEx always takes the same IP address.. This is a bit tricky in the TG797n, so skip this one for now. If it is still an issue post again for details.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric..

5. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only.

User uploaded file

6. Test speed in the local network.. ie copy a file too and from a computer plugged into the LAN port of the AEx by ethernet to another device running on wireless, if this is ok, then your problem is purely the AEx itself not handling WAN..

There is a lot more jiggery pokery you can try but the above is a good start.. if you find it still unreliable.. don't be surprised.

Post some screenshots of your setup.. it helps loads.

Apr 1, 2015 3:42 AM in response to djmdallas

thank you for your help. With your help it has managed to be working great now. say if i wanted to put the airport express into my bedroom using a power line ethernet port from the gateway to my bedroom and then plug the modem in there. i have done this but for some reason i lose speed back to 1.4 mps but without the powerline adaptor it works wonders. is there a way i can use it through the power line ethernet. i think it may have something to do with the ip address ?

Apr 1, 2015 4:44 PM in response to djmdallas

and then plug the modem in there.

You cannot move the modem.. it must stay where it is.. but I think this is just a typo and you meant the express??

i have done this but for some reason i lose speed back to 1.4 mps but without the powerline adaptor it works wonders.

Power line (EOP) adapters can be good or poor.. and I am not sure I understand again what you mean..

If it works great without the power line adaptor use it that way.. why are you using power line adapters if they cause trouble??

Sorry you just need to spell it out as I cannot see the point of what you are attempting.

Apr 1, 2015 6:13 PM in response to LaPastenague

SRory . What I am trying to attempt is have the airport express in my room through the powerline ethernet rather then having it next to the main modem. I am waiting to use the powerline device connected in my room with the airport only because I have apple TV and with the ethernet plug from the Apple TV to the airport it has more of a faster stable connection as to the wifi . I use it the use airply from my Mac to the Apple TV . Hope that helps ?

Apr 1, 2015 8:45 PM in response to djmdallas

What about using a plain switch in your room.. as you don't seem to be needing the express.

If the connection by the express is slow but fast when connected to the powerline adapter direct then the express is old type, not setup properly or just the wrong device.. IMHO unless it is gen2 it is simply the wrong device.

If you want wireless and ethernet in the bedroom buy a secondhand airport extreme from ebay.. it is around $50-80.. far superior wireless and ethernet cf the express.

However if you want to pursue what the express issue is please post me all the screenshots from the airport utility show how it is setup.

Jul 1, 2015 9:58 AM in response to djmdallas

That would happen to me with my Airport Express too, although not all the time. Sometimes it would be about 15-20mbps which was not great and when it was bad it was about what you are saying at 1.5mbps.

What I did was switch it to 5Ghz. You are getting interference probably. You need to use the feature that says you create a specific name for the 5Ghz network and join that network. That will ensure that you are always connecting at 5Ghz. After that I get around 40-60mbps. That isn't extremely fast, like 802.11ac is, but it is very fast for my iPhone, which is all I use the Airport Express for.

I am confident that this will fix your problem.

Airport Express Download speed is slow (1.4mps), conpaired to me existing DSL Gateway (15.4mps).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.