Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open MacDraw or MacPaint files of 1992-94 era

Dear Friends

I am new to this forum and i am sorry if the question could have been asked by someone before.

I have some figures created in 1994 on my old Mac SE, over the years I copied the files many times from computer to computer, from Mac to PC. I would like to recover those images to be saved in jpg so I can publish them in a journal paper (yes, the information are still relevant today).

I could not remember they were done in paint or draw, could I ask you a favor to have a look at my files and if possible, convert them to a format i can handle nowadays?

Thanks in advance,

Ping

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 12:03 AM

4 replies

Apr 1, 2015 1:19 AM in response to pingfromdarwin

Hi,

If you have access to a Macintosh computer, you may want to have a look at the shareware program GraphicConverter. MacDraw and MacPaint are mentioned in the list at http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/key-features/import-and-exp ort-formats/, so it could be worth a try. If the files can be opened correctly, it should not be a problem for the program in question to convert them to a suitable format.

Jan

Apr 2, 2015 6:39 AM in response to pingfromdarwin

This won't be easy - your copying them from place to place almost certainly made them lose their creator codes that lived in resource forks; other damage may have occurred along the way as well. I find the Lemkesoft app doesn't do a great job with the various versions of MacPaint/MacDraw files over the years; often, the Mac Finder preview itself is actually able to view and convert as well. I'm not sure how we can get in touch with one another here, but I can help and give your files a try if you have a means of sharing them.

Apr 8, 2015 5:49 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you Jan, sorry for the delay. i have downloaded a graphicconverter, but it could not open /convert the file i had, claiming the files are broken.

i also downloaded an Easy Draw shareware, it did open some of the files as Mac draw pro files, but for most of the files only part of the graph was reconstructed, many or some times most of the elements of the graph were missing. notice that both of the softwares are try versions (but both claim that they are full version).

at least now i can confirm that the files i have are in Mac Draw Pro of 1993 or 94.

Apr 8, 2015 5:57 AM in response to JustSomeGuy

Dear JustSomeGuy

thank you for your suggestion, my apology for the delay in reply. I was trying several softwares as you can see from my reply to Jan. My MacBook Air's finder could not preview the files. Now i know for sure that the files i have are in Mac Draw Pro of 1993 or 94.

i also find the old DD and HD disks containing the Cricketgraph files. i just need to find someone to help me to copy the files out so i can open it with a new version of cricket graph. many thanks for your suggestion. if possible i would like to send you the files of Mac draw pro for you to try. my email address is plantsensors at yahoo DOT com dot au

Ping

Open MacDraw or MacPaint files of 1992-94 era

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.