Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows using Boot Camp - Worth ?

Hi,

I have purchased a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) with OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 ; Boot Camp version - 5.1.3. Now I have a windows 7 64bit Professional DVD. Kindly help me with the exact steps to install windows 7 using Boot Camp.

Also kindly let me know if there are any major drawbacks of using windows 7 in Mac. I was told the previous versions of Boot Camp was not much helpful for Windows users. I will be using Windows mostly for official purposes and not much for entertainment. If required in future can I remove Windows 7 entirely and go back to using OS X alone ?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 12:41 AM

17 replies

Apr 1, 2015 3:12 AM in response to zodiac1991

when you are not going to play 3d games which I doubt with an macbook air

then it's much less hassel to install windows 7 in a virtual machine like free virtual box or comercial like parallels

in a virtual machine you need not do a full reboot to switch between OS X and windows and it's a world easier to install

as virtual machines don't require all the special drivers that bootcamp does

and virtual machines support a wider range of windows and linux versions that bootcamp does

Apr 3, 2015 7:21 AM in response to Rudegar

Hi,

Which of either ( Windows 7 or 8) is better suited to be installed on Mac OS X. While carrying out the windows installation process if anything bad ( God forbid) happens will my Mac be safe to and can it be brought to back its original state. I desperately need windows but am skeptical about the installation process.

Can you confirm whether the steps mentioned in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iMxPpb534U can be followed to install windows on Mac.

Thank you very much for all the help.

Apr 15, 2015 10:33 PM in response to Loner T

Hi,

Yes step 22 was completed. I entered the password and clicked 'Add Helper' but there was no progress. No i was unable to find the partitioning step. When I tried to open Boot Camp once again, it started once again from step 16. The entire installation process took close to 1 hour and all the files have been copied to my pendrive including the downloaded windows software.

Apr 16, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Loner T

When i unchecked the 'Create USB' and tried to download software it is asking me to enter the installation disc. I have the windows 7 cd and an external optical drive. So inorder to avoid these confusions is it possible for me to make use of the cd and cd drive and install windows instead of using the usb drive because am unable to find any progress even during the second time.

Windows using Boot Camp - Worth ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.