Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't back up using time machine with airport and external drive

Hi, I am using WD My Book Studio in conjunction with a MAC airport Extreme. Time machine has told me that it needs to delete old backups and create a new one but I have received an error message saying a back can't be conducted because the my book studio volumes can't be deleted. I have gone into My Book Studio in finder and found the backup volume and tried to delete it manually. I get an error code as per the message below.

"The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)."

Has anyone any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Vedeco

Imac

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 1:42 AM

2 replies

Apr 1, 2015 2:54 AM in response to Vedeco

What model extreme is this? Gen 1-5, apple specifically does not support TM backup to the USB drive.. even on AEgen6 it is not proving to be much better with people needing to constantly redo the backup.

To fix your drive.. plug it directly into the computer and reformat it with disk utility.. that will fix it. Until next time.

See http://pondini.org/TM/Airport.html

Can't back up using time machine with airport and external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.