Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto: Unable to write to library. Check that you have permission to write to the library directory

I have been asked to submit a new thread regarding iPhoto's recent inability to write to library.

The original thread can be found here.

SPECS:

Mac Mini (Mid 2011)

OSX 10.10.2

Seagate 4TB External HDD, formatted to Mac OS External (Journaled) (purchased 8 Feb 2015)

User uploaded file

Previously, "Ignore ownership on this volume" was not ticked. Now it has been selected.

Before 30 March, iPhoto Library located on the Seagate external HDD worked fine with no errors. It was previous copied from Carbon Copy Cloner from one of my Samsung internal HDD in my Mac Mini that had a S.M.A.R.T. failure. There were errors with particular thumbnails and files (I assume had corrupted due to the internal HDD failing) but CCC did as directed and copied the entire iPhoto Library to the new Seagate external HDD.

It seems that after installing the latest iPhoto update:

User uploaded file

iPhoto version 9.6.1 from the App Store (installed March 30, 2015), iPhoto no longer has "permission" to write to library when opened:

(Could this be a program with the latest software update?)

User uploaded file

Upon accessing the Photo Library First Aid control panel (holding Option+Command keys and selecting iPhoto):

User uploaded file

And selecting the first option, "Repair Permission,"

User uploaded file

I still receive the error message (doesn't even start repairing photo library permissions):

User uploaded file

What else should I do? It won't let me "Rebuild Database" either. I have restarted the Mac Mini. I haven't tried disconnecting the external HDD. And I do not have another HDD big enough to transfer the entire iPhoto Library to see if it is my iPhoto Library that has corrupted, or the new Seagate external HDD that has decided not to play nice. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 3:06 AM

11 replies

Apr 1, 2015 4:00 AM in response to Reubania

Try to narrow down the problem. We need to know, if the problem is caused by the drive or your iPhoto Library.

• Try to create a new iPhoto library on your external drive. Launch iPhoto while holding down the alt/options key. Then select to create a new iPhoto Library on the the external drive. Does this work? can you import a few test images?
  • If you cannot use an iPhoto library on the drive at all, try to create a new iPhoto Library in your Pictures folder. Does iPhoto work with this library?

Apr 1, 2015 11:39 PM in response to Yer_Man

I ran Disk Utility and I received this:

User uploaded file

Disregard the failing S.M.A.R.T (red) status of my internal Samsung HDD. The iPhoto Library is located in the 4TB Seagate Expansion Disk, labelled "Media External HDD." No other software/backup software installed on the Seagate and it was reformatted into Mac OS Extended (Journaled) without any troubles. Other files on that external HDD are just my iTunes and movie folders.

Apr 1, 2015 11:55 PM in response to Reubania

There does seem to be a problem there as it's not completing the check: Compare:

User uploaded file

That's a shot from a scan done on one of mine just now. Your process seems to have terminated before the last two steps, and you're not getting the line in green.

I'm no expert on Disk Utility, so I'd ask about that on the Using Mac OS X forum for 10.10

Apr 5, 2015 6:55 AM in response to Yer_Man

OK. I've been trying to workshop this some more.

AFTER restarting my Mac Mini, I selected "Get Info" on this Seagate external HDD, and low and behold, "everyone" sharing & permissions was reset back to "Read Only." I attempted to move a folder into this external HDD and was as to "Authenticate" the move. So entering my Administrator password, the folder can be moved.

I went into Disk Utility to "Verify Disk" and I now get the green text "This volume appears to be OK."

But I am UNABLE to "Ignore ownership on this volume."

I receive the following error message:

The operation can't be completed. "An unexpected error occurred (error code -8076)."

I am pulling my hair out!

User uploaded file

Apr 5, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I will just clear up my Mac Mini internal HDD and make room to transfer my entire iPhoto Library to the Home "Pictures" Folder. I don't know how longer I can hold out before I run out of space, but I just can't believe my purchase of a 4TB external HDD to enable me to store all my photos can cause such havoc. I am looking forward to the new "Photos" app to arrive, hopefully it'll fix up some of my woes.

iPhoto: Unable to write to library. Check that you have permission to write to the library directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.