Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt ethernet gets self assigned ip

I work on a macbook pro retina 13' (10.10.2)and used a Thunderbolt Gigabit adapter for the last half year to connect to our internal server structure.

All of a sudden the thunderbolt adapter stopped working and all I get now is a self assigned IP.

I checked with a lot of help forums but I haven't found a solution which helped me.

What I already did:

- Checked the same adapter with another macbook Pro and I got a valid IP with auto DHCP. So it can't be the adapter or the cable or the router.

- Manually entered the IP, Router, GW ... on the faulty macbook pro, did not solve the problem.

- Deleted the Network plist - did not help

- Removed the Thunderbolt Ethernet from the Network System Preferences, restarted the computer and added it again. Did not help as well.

Can anybody help me?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 4:11 AM

1 reply

Jun 30, 2015 7:15 AM in response to Mirkowelle

I had this exact issue with your exact setup and I was able to fix it. I tried a number of things so I don't know what did it, but here's what you can try:

• Removed everything Firewire related from the network panel
  • Disable internet sharing from the Sharing panel (I think this was the culprit)
  • Searched for "Firewire" in the settings panel and turned off anything that could be turned off
  • Restarted the computer

After that I was connected correctly over ethernet.

Hope this helps.

Thunderbolt ethernet gets self assigned ip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.