Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send mails, but can receive.

I can receive mails, but am unable to send. The error message says "a copy has been placed in your outbox. No password provided."

IT says to go to mail account settings and enter password. I can't seem to know how to do this.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 5:12 AM

2 replies

Apr 3, 2015 2:39 PM in response to Nwasonum

Hi Nwasonum,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see where you are getting a password error when trying to send email on your iPhone. Take a look at this from the following article regarding this issue:

"Username or password is incorrect" with POP3 account

Before you check your email on your iOS device, close any other email programs and close any webmail sites you may have open on another computer.

To see if your account is a POP3 account, use the Mail Settings Lookup tool or follow these steps:

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tap the account.

Look for the label POP ACCOUNT INFORMATION.

If your email provider offers IMAP, remove the POP3 account, then add the account with your provider's IMAP settings. POP3 communicates with one mail client at a time. If more than one mail client tries to connect, you might see a username or password error.

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Regards,

Jeff D.

Apr 4, 2015 5:26 PM in response to Nwasonum

I was having this problem also. I did all the steps suggested and I still could not send e-mails from one of my accounts. I found an article online that suggested the following for IOS 7 so I tried it on IOS 8 and it worked. Good luck!

Users must go into their iPhone settings, access the “Mail, Contacts and Calendars” settings, click on the effected account, access that account’s settings, click on the “Outgoing Mail / SMTP Settings” and, in the first activated SMTP server (the first one that says “on” to the right, retype their password in the password field.

Users must also make sure that their full email address is listed in the username field.

Even if there is already a password in the password field, users must retype their password.

For whatever reason, after updating to iOS 7, many email accounts retain the correct password for receiving emails but the correct password does not transfer over to the outgoing mail settings. Once the user reenters his or her password in the outgoing mail settings, they should be able to send emails from the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch without any problems!

Can't send mails, but can receive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.