Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to download the song to my device to pay it or can I play it from the cloud?

I'm trying to save space. Can I play my music direct from the cloud or do I need to download it first when using iTunes match?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 5:50 AM

6 replies

Apr 1, 2015 3:26 PM in response to WiseOwl85

From: https://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/ Frequently asked Question section

Does iTunes Match stream or download songs?

On a computer, any songs stored in iCloud will stream over the air when played, though you can download them at any time by clicking the iCloud download button. iOS devices will start playing tracks from iCloud as they download and will store them so that you can listen to them later even if you don’t have a network connection. Apple TV only streams songs.

Apr 2, 2015 9:18 AM in response to WiseOwl85

Nope, though you can delete them after playing them. Match is just a way for your songs to be available on all devices, but they still need to be downloaded in some way to be played. Streaming downloads the files too, it just deletes them after playing, iOS devices do not do this at this time, so the only option is to manually delete them after having played them.

Apr 4, 2015 10:06 AM in response to WiseOwl85

actually if I understood your question...

When I'm listening to my songs through iTunes Match, i DON'T NEED to download it on my Mac or iPhone, I just double click it on iTunes and it it start streaming on my iTunes, of course this stream has to download the song while streaming, but it is automatically deleted when the music is over. If I want to listen to the same song minutes later, I will have to wait iTunes to buffer the song again.

on iOS the same, I can listen to all of my songs through wifi/3G, but they are not downloaded on iPhone/iPad, just streamed.

If you want, you have the option to download all the musics to listen to them when you're offline, but it's up to you 🙂

Apr 4, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Murilo.mac

Murilo.mac wrote:

actually if I understood your question...

When I'm listening to my songs through iTunes Match, i DON'T NEED to download it on my Mac or iPhone, I just double click it on iTunes and it it start streaming on my iTunes, of course this stream has to download the song while streaming, but it is automatically deleted when the music is over. If I want to listen to the same song minutes later, I will have to wait iTunes to buffer the song again.

on iOS the same, I can listen to all of my songs through wifi/3G, but they are not downloaded on iPhone/iPad, just streamed.

If you want, you have the option to download all the musics to listen to them when you're offline, but it's up to you 🙂

As explained above, on iOS devices, the song is downloaded as it plays, but it is not removed afterwards.

iOS devices will start playing tracks from iCloud as they download and will store them

i.e, they will not be removed after playing.

This is straight form the iTunes Match FAQ:

https://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

Do I have to download the song to my device to pay it or can I play it from the cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.