Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Popup Alerts While Writing Text or Email?

Is there any way to disable the annoying alerts that pop up while you're in the middle of writing an email or a text? I'll be right in the middle of typing something and the alert will pop up; next thing I know I've hit the alert with my thumb and {{ whoosh }} off I go into some completely other place. It's so freaking annoying! But I don't want to disable the alerts all together--only while I'm typing. Alerts are the only way I know if I received a message since the iPhone has no blinking light or other reminder. Anyone else annoyed by this? Any known fixes/workarounds/solutions out there?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 6:11 AM

8 replies

Apr 1, 2015 7:59 AM in response to John Galt

They're email alerts. When I'm typing a text message or email and I receive a text or an email, the alert for that text or email pops up right in the middle of my screen while I'm typing (see picture) so I accidentally hit the alert and either hit "Close" or "Options" by accident. If I hit "Options," I've sometimes accidentally hit "Trash" and then I have no idea what the alert was even for. I use my iPhone for business and I've lost opportunities because I've accidentally trashed things.

Surely I can't be the only person this is happening to. User uploaded file

Dec 1, 2016 6:37 AM in response to shandycat

I agree! This should be already implemented accross all platforms and OSs, it is a very frustating and typical scenario - if I am writing something, surely I dont want to to be able to accidentally interact with pop-up at this time. If the pop-up is so important, at least it should appear uninteractive for a first few seconds to give me time to react and not be able to confirm it immediately.

Dec 1, 2016 12:17 PM in response to Pejik

Pejik wrote:

I agree! This should be already implemented accross all platforms and OSs, it is a very frustating and typical scenario - if I am writing something, surely I dont want to to be able to accidentally interact with pop-up at this time. If the pop-up is so important, at least it should appear uninteractive for a first few seconds to give me time to react and not be able to confirm it immediately.

Change your notifications to Banner. They will only appear at the top of the screen and will not interfere with typing.

You can also submit your feedback to Apple about what you'd like to se here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Disable Popup Alerts While Writing Text or Email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.