Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X "can't export while it is still referencing media on camera"

I run a youtube channel, and I'm doing a collab with a friend I met through youtube, my video was meant to be done Sunday, it's 11:53 pm Wednesday, and I've had heaps of trouble exporting this project. I'm on the trial, and I have been able to export before.

When I click "share" or "export" it says "This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera."

I have googled everything, watched videos about it and I haven't found anything.

Some things came up about deleting preferences? I'm not sure how to do that so if that's what I have to do please run me through it.

My computer doesn't have an SD drive and thats how I import my videos/photos from my camera, so I bought a "multi card reader" and that is terrible quality tht every time I gently bump it, it ejects and FCPX crashes. Maybe it does need time to import it and every time it ejects it starts again? (it does say 100% background tasks)

MacBook Air, Running OS X 10.9.5

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 6:06 AM

4 replies

Apr 1, 2015 11:41 PM in response to fairy-floss_giraffe

Hi,

I had a friend that had this exact problem today. If you have the card mounted, option drag the whole card to the desktop first, before importing it. That will copy it to the hard drive. That said, even after copying the SD card to the computer and importing it, the file I needed stayed on the card, and showed a camera icon on the clip in FCP X.

The way I solved it, was opened the SD card, and opened the AVCHD package (right click, show package) and dug in to find the MTS file that was needed and put that on the desktop, and then to an organized folder location. Then I went to import, and imported the MTS file, and that solved the problem. Does this help at all?

Bmann.

Apr 2, 2015 12:58 AM in response to bmannthelion

bmannthelion wrote:

…Then I went to import, and imported the MTS file, and that solved the problem. …

sorry to disagree a 100%, but no good advice to destroy the cards file structure by 'orphanizing' the included mts!.

The 'other' files, your method neglects, contain valueable info, aside meta-data for instance how to handle 'combined mts' etc. Solo mts are often the reason for dreaded 'green flashes' in clips ...

just create on some harddrive a new folder and drag the mounted card into it - done. You have a 1to1 clone of your precious content and you can import from it super-fast, incl. all metas, FCPX needs, with the usual routine.

Final Cut Pro X "can't export while it is still referencing media on camera"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.