Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I moved all my Pages documents from my Macbook Pro to my present Macbook Air and then gave away my Pro. Now, when I try to view my documents I get the message that the document is too old and I have to save it on Pages 09 first. How do I do that? i

I moved all my Pages docs from my Macbook Pro to my new Macbook Air. Now, when I try to view my docs I am told that they are too old and I must save them in 09 first. How do I do that? The version of Pages I am using on the Air is 5.2.2

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 12:31 PM

No release of Pages v5 can open AppleWorks, Pages '05, Pages '06, Pages '08, or RTF documents. Sometimes, it cannot open its own documents.

You will need to do one of the following:

1. Borrow your MacBook Pro back until you can export all your incompatible documents to MS Word (Which Pages v5 can open)
  2. Install your iWork '08 DVD on your new Air, and then immediately apply the following Apple Updaters. Again Export to MS document formats.
    1. Pages v3.0.3
    2. Numbers v1.0.3
    3. Keynote v4.0.4
  3. Purchase iWork '09 DVD, and then immediately update with Apple iWork 9.3 updater.
    1. Open the document(s) that Pages v5 won't permit
    2. Save as Pages '09 v4.3 documents, or export as MS Word
  4. Upload to Zamzar, and convert to MS Word (free for limited volume)
    1. No sensitive documents
    2. Email notification within 3 - 4 minutes with MS Word document download link

After you do either item 2 or 3, run Disk Utility and verify/repair application permissions on your boot drive. Open your converted documents in Pages v5.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 12:31 PM in response to edinjock

No release of Pages v5 can open AppleWorks, Pages '05, Pages '06, Pages '08, or RTF documents. Sometimes, it cannot open its own documents.

You will need to do one of the following:

1. Borrow your MacBook Pro back until you can export all your incompatible documents to MS Word (Which Pages v5 can open)
  2. Install your iWork '08 DVD on your new Air, and then immediately apply the following Apple Updaters. Again Export to MS document formats.
    1. Pages v3.0.3
    2. Numbers v1.0.3
    3. Keynote v4.0.4
  3. Purchase iWork '09 DVD, and then immediately update with Apple iWork 9.3 updater.
    1. Open the document(s) that Pages v5 won't permit
    2. Save as Pages '09 v4.3 documents, or export as MS Word
  4. Upload to Zamzar, and convert to MS Word (free for limited volume)
    1. No sensitive documents
    2. Email notification within 3 - 4 minutes with MS Word document download link

After you do either item 2 or 3, run Disk Utility and verify/repair application permissions on your boot drive. Open your converted documents in Pages v5.

I moved all my Pages documents from my Macbook Pro to my present Macbook Air and then gave away my Pro. Now, when I try to view my documents I get the message that the document is too old and I have to save it on Pages 09 first. How do I do that? i

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.