Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone restore??

iPhone 5

After "Restore iPhone" I need to replace some but not all of my iTune back up. How? were is the iTune Backup??

iPhone 5c

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 6:47 AM

An iTunes backup is stored under :

Mac:~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

The "~" represents your Home folder. If you don't see Library in your Home folder, hold Option and click the Go menu.

Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata%, then press Return.

Windows XP:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, then choose Run. In the search bar, type %appdata%, then click OK.

But it's not designed to be accessed except when restoring onto a device, you are unlikely to make much if any sense of the files in it

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 6:47 AM in response to thenewestbutler

An iTunes backup is stored under :

Mac:~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

The "~" represents your Home folder. If you don't see Library in your Home folder, hold Option and click the Go menu.

Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata%, then press Return.

Windows XP:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, then choose Run. In the search bar, type %appdata%, then click OK.

But it's not designed to be accessed except when restoring onto a device, you are unlikely to make much if any sense of the files in it

Apr 3, 2015 12:31 PM in response to thenewestbutler

I made an assumption from your last post when you mentioned MobileSync, I thought that it was only on Macs that the folder was called MobileSync, not that it was also called that on PCs (I didn't read what I'd posted when I listed the directories).

If you are using a PC then you might need to go into the settings for Windows Explorer and tell it to show hidden folders

Windows 7 and Vista : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=w indows-7

Windows XP : http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/w in_fcab_show_file_extensions.mspx?mfr=tr…

Or for Vista, 7 and 8 : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-wi ndows-vista/

Apr 3, 2015 1:16 PM in response to King_Penguin

Hi Pen, I started writing a minute ago and lost it so you may have got half a message, anyway, I DO use an Apple iMac and have just backed up my iPhone using iTune and need to replace some but not all its content, I did as I understand you to mean by d/clicking:- Library/Application Support, but there was no folder called "Mobilesync" in there. Butler

Apr 3, 2015 1:28 PM in response to thenewestbutler

Which folder did you go to - there are two different folders :

~/Library/Application Support

and

/Library/Application Support

The MobileSync folder, if you have backups of iOS devices on that Mac, will be under the first one, the one starting the the tilde '~' :

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

But as I said in my first reply, backup is not designed to be read by people, it is only there to be restored to a device - you are unlikely to be able to make much sense, if any, of the files in the backup on your Mac.

iPhone restore??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.