Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX not exporting .MTS files

Hi,

I've just finished working on a project and exporting / sharing to Master file and Exported file (H.264 format option) does not work (error occurred when creating frame 105585 (error -1)). I've disabled App Nap and deleted rendered files, as well as tried numerous instructions from forums to allow my export to be completed successfully. My project consists of MOV files captured from my Canon DSLR and MTS files captured from my Canon XA10 camcorder. I've decided to create new projects (using random files from the ones selected for the project) and now I notice that it's only the MTS files that are not exporting successfully (Error occurred when creating frame 12 (error -1)) however the MOV files are exporting successfully (I've used various lengths of footage for both file types to determine if the length of the clip might be responsible for the error message).

Could anyone kindly assist me? I'm sure once I'm able to export the MTS file successfully then I can try attempting to export the main project (that has a combination of MOV and MTS files) that I initially started with. I had no problem importing both the file types, but exporting the entire project is not working out.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), FCPX v10.1.4

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 6:52 AM

9 replies

Apr 1, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for the fast reply Tom,

I've changed the preferences to Frames instead of Time and it keeps reversing back to Time the moment I close the preferences window. Any idea what's brewing there?

I've copied the files to a Harddrive and then imported them through FCPX, since the canon XA10 has a built in harddrive so I usually send the files from the on board drive to an external drive. Would optimizing fix the problem? It is the "Optimized/original" feature thatyou're referring to?

Apr 1, 2015 7:28 AM in response to MediaKingSA

You are not importing correctly. You should use the FCP import function directly from the device or from a camera folder structure so the media can be rewrapped to QuickTime and the audio converted to a production format.

It is the "Optimized/original" feature thatyou're referring to?

If this means the function in the upper right of the viewer, that's simply a playback function. You should optimize on import or use the transcode media function. This will generate large ProRes files. It's better to import natively using the import function directly from the device, card, folder structure, or a camera archive.

Apr 1, 2015 7:43 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Wow I never knew that... I will definitely do that in the future. Does this mean that all the other clips I've copied to the harddrive for later editing could be problematic?? I try not to use optimized functionality because I've read that it significantly slows down the PC. My pc is not the fastest spark in the apple range..

Is there any remedy to fix my current situation? Would I need to re-import all the clips again? Does the MTS file usually cause problems or is it definitely the way I'm importing? My MOV files seem fine...

Apr 1, 2015 7:51 AM in response to MediaKingSA

Does this mean that all the other clips I've copied to the harddrive for later editing could be problematic??

Yes, very likely. ProRes is actually very easy for the processor to handle. The only problem is that they are large files, take up a lot of drive space, and need a fast media drive. If your processor can handle H.264 .mts it can easily handle ProRes, whether your drives can is a different matter.

.mts is an acquisition and delivery format only and really should never be used in production. Importing directly from the camera structure is the best way to go.

Apr 1, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I will be sure to remember that. Should I change the recording format from MTS to another, like ProRes? Which recording format would be best suited for editing?

I've decided to use my external harddrive to primarily store my FCPX library since I'll be importing much more regularly instead of copying and pasting between different mediums. Is this recommended?

Gosh it looks like my knowledge on video formats is still very poor, I definitely need to do more reading up.

Apr 1, 2015 8:14 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes it is USB 3 and 2Tb in size. My work primarily revolves around eastern weddings, so It's more for DVD and BluRay outputs, on avg 2.5 hours duration per project. My fear is that I may run out of space if I'm using Optimized settings all the time.

If there's any youtube/website links that you have that would aid my learning with video formats and specific instructions on the do's and dont's for importing, I'd greatly appreciate that. There's loads of information on the internet but it could get quite confusing.

Looks like I may have to attempt to re-import and re-edit the entire project again and hope it works 😟

FCPX not exporting .MTS files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.