Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't post a question

i'm trying to ask about a virus alert, but i am told "You are not allowed to create or update this content." any ideas what i'm doing to offend?

this is a serious question, i think, and i think i need help.

thanks.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 7:24 AM

You posted this one. Just start explaining the issue here.

5 replies

Apr 1, 2015 7:25 AM in response to Kurt Lang

well, it told me i couldn't!

thanks for the reply. what i was trying to ask was this:

i have a mid-2010 imac, ipad air, iphone 4s, iphone 6, apple tv and the apple airport extreme (and still there's apple koolaid left in the package!). the mac, phones and ipad, at least, are fully updated.

i am getting a virus alert from my internet carrier Cox Cable: more or less "Cox has detected the Zeus virus on some device at this address." they recommend i click a link to a removal tool that seems to be for pcs.

their chat representative says the threat is real and that i should contact my manufacturer which is Apple, so i come here. i don't know whether Cox sends this alert to everyone, or whether they have actually detected a virus one something of ours. the removal tools they suggest seem to be for pcs. that suggests maybe they don't know what is at my house, after all.

so, does anyone know (a) if this threat is real, (b) how i can determine whether i have an infection, and (c) what to do about it, and (d) the answer to the question i should have asked.

Apr 1, 2015 7:32 AM in response to noladdd

Your cable provider has no idea what they're talking about. The Zeus malware only affects Windows. It would only be possible for your Mac to be infected by having Windows installed as a bootable Boot Camp partition, or running in a VM, such as Parallels or VMware. And then, only the Windows drive would be infected and active while you're using it. OS X cannot be infected by any Windows malware.

can't post a question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.