Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote management through public wifi and airport doesn't work

I'm trying to connect my HomeMac (OSX Yosemite) to my AwayMacBook (OSX 10.5.8) using remote management/login. I already successfully use Chicken (VNC) app to connect these two computers via ethernet. But now I want to use the AwayMacBook airport-wifi option to connect the two computers. My VNC app will not connect the computers through Airport, but will connect through the ethernet. The AwayMacBook airport is connected to a public (password protected) WiFi router and has its own Airport IP address, which is different from the AwayMacBook's ethernet IP address. I've tried very configuration I can think of and can't bridge the two computers using the AwayMacBook airport feature.

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 9:33 AM

6 replies

Apr 1, 2015 4:37 PM in response to tanneron

Chicken appears to be an old and no longer supported open source project.

I think you have to try a more standard method.

ie Open AFP on the airport at home.. and setup remote access using AFP on your Leopard computer.. due to age you cannot use the method apple now uses which is BTMM.

See the 3rd method in this document from Tesserax who is Guru Besar in this area.

AirPort Disk - Remote Access (3 Methods)

Apr 1, 2015 8:09 PM in response to LaPastenague

I am trying to remotely manage the AwayMacBook from my HomeMac. I can fully remotely manage the AwayMacBook when that computer is connected to the Internet through the ethernet port. But if I try to connect with the AwayMacBook via Airport (the wi-fi supplied by the building in which the AwayMacBook is located), then I cannot make the connection. Chicken VNC works just fine when the Away computer is connected via ethernet. There's no dysfunction in that particular application. It works great with no glitches. But if the AwayMacBook's ethernet connection is disconnected and the Airport wi-fi is on, then I can't remotely connect from my HomeMac. I'm trying to do away with the ethernet line so i can go wi-fi and save $45/month. The wi-fi is free! But I can't go wi-fi if i can't remotely control the AwayMacBook. Hope this makes sense.

Apr 1, 2015 8:41 PM in response to tanneron

Ok.. I understand a lot better.. and I suspect the problem will not be solved.. because the wireless system will not allow the connection period.

What ports does chicken use.. standard VNC??

Can you please do a traceroute from computer to computer when ethernet is connected so I can see the route it takes?

When you are on wireless then try the same thing.. but it may not work at all.

The reason is that wireless should be set to NOT share ie because wireless is such a security risk, public wireless is setup so you cannot connect to another computer on the wireless network.

Apr 2, 2015 6:54 AM in response to LaPastenague

First, thanks so much for helping me with this problem! Let me explain what I did yesterday. I have a HomeMac and a HomeMackBook (wi-fi). I turned off the wi-fi on the HomeMac, made remote management adjustments with the HomeMacBook, and using Chicken VNC I was able to connect with the HomeMacBook through the wireless router. So in this case Chicken VNC allowed me to remotely manage my HomeMacBook even though its connection to the internet was through the wireless router. I can't duplicate the same thing between my HomeMac and the AwayMacBook when the AwayMacBook is connected to the internet via Airport and the wireless router supplied by the apartment complex. OK, I'll do the tracer route and get back to you. Thanks again for helping me out!

Apr 2, 2015 8:02 PM in response to LaPastenague

Finally had to call the IT guy at the condo complex and tell him about my problem. He told me the VNC approach would never get me beyond their router for DHCP reasons, and all the security features, etc. So I abandoned that route and went with TeamViewer (it's free) and it worked like a charm right through the wireless router to the AwayMacBook. Thanks for all your help. Case closed!

Remote management through public wifi and airport doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.