Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant need to reboot AppleTV *AND* restart iTunes for Home Sharing to work

Environment:

iTunes Host Computer: User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

AppleTV's: Three. All Model A1469, All currently running latest version of OS, [7.1 (7003)]

Network: Wired Ethernet (1000MB) using three D-Link Green DSG-1008G dumb routers, one Apple Airport Extreme (running 7.6.4), and one AT&T DSL Gateway directly connected to the Airport Extreme WAN port.

Situation: Since the latest updates to OS 7 on the AppleTV, and 10.10 - Yosemite on the iTunes Host Computer, I've had issues with Home Sharing NOT being able to hold a connection between the AppleTV and the iTunes Host computer. This disconnect shows on up as a "...turn on home sharing in iTunes..." screen on the AppleTVs. (I should also note that you can't access Home Sharing during this interruption via another computer either. I've tried this, thinking it was an issue with the AppleTV, however, the computer just will not see the Home Share. Once iTunes is restarted, the Home Share shows up in the iTunes shared list.)

I actually think there are TWO problems here; 1) the AppleTV loss of connection to the Home Share, 2) The need to refresh the iTunes Home Share.

Problem 1 is demonstrated by this example: IF I restart iTunes, then wake an AppleTV to view content, I get the "...turn on Home Sharing..." screen. If, however, I do nothing else BUT reset the AppleTV, the Home Share works perfectly.

Problem 2 is demonstrated by this example: IF I wake an AppleTV, then reset that same AppleTV without restarting iTunes on the host computer, I get the "...turn on Home Sharing..." screen.

The ONLY way I don't get the "...turn on Home Sharing..." screen is when I reset the AppleTV, AND restart iTunes. Somehow I don't think this is the way this should be working.

NOTE: In all of these scenarios, I've never had to re-login to Home Sharing on the iTune host. The credentials are working.

NOTE 2: I've completed ALL of the Apple recommended troubleshooting steps, and a good number of other ones suggested by this forum, including renaming the host computer, changing the Home Share Name, reissuing IP addresses, rewiring the network, opening or shutting off of all firewalls, etc.

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 8:34 AM

4 replies

Jan 1, 2016 2:09 PM in response to Ken Mazer

I had the Home Sharing issue where I had to restart ApplTV frequently. Nothing I could do for over 1.5 years would fix the issue.

Currently issue is fixed : I don't use Yosemite anymore but use either Mavericks with iTunes 12.3.2 or El Capitan with iTunes 12.3.2 Case closed for me.

Yosemite uses discoveryd where Mavericks and El Capitan do not. Even Yosemite 10.10.5 was switched off discoveryd but I believe ANY Mac which runs Yosemite and connects to your local network leaves networking problems to discover devices. I've eliminated ALL of Yosemite from my local network and that meant guests who visit and powered off then powering on all my networking devices.

Jan 1, 2016 2:15 PM in response to DonH49

Do you use Airport as your router -- I mean to give out IPs and handle NAT? I have an Ooma doing that and relegate my Airport to simply allowing the WiFi devices to exist on the network (bridging). Wondered if the device that handles the NAT & IP relegation could have anything to do with it? ie: Does Ooma -- or any other router for that matter -- "remember" or "lose" network mapping and/or interfere with the ability of the AppleTVs to communicate or reset communications with iTunes once they reboot?

I may relegate the Ooma to a port on the Airport Extreme and go back to letting Airport control all aspects of my network.

Also, when you say "discoveryd", do Airport expresses (the older kind that stick out from the wall) use discoveryd or do they use the older, then replaced method? (I forget what it is called: mdnsd?)

Constant need to reboot AppleTV *AND* restart iTunes for Home Sharing to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.