Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X Compatible Hardware

I have protools currently and I want to switch over to Logic Pro X so I can use it with my MacBook Pro. Can someone tell me if my Firewire M-Box Pro M2 hardware interface will work with Logic Pro X?

If it doesn't work is there a list of compatible hardware that works with Logic Pro X?

I want to research the hardware list before I buy the software. I would really like to use my old DigiDesigns M-Box Pro M2 but I understand if that it probably won't work so I will need to buy new hardware.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 8GB RAM

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 2:08 PM

Hi there, I just looked and on the avid website the interface isn't supported under Yosemite. It does have support for mavericks though. Honestly any modern interface that has core audio support should work with Logic pro x, just as long you have the correct port(s). You could try rolling back to mavericks if you don't want to get a new interface.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2015 2:08 PM in response to Henneberry

Hi there, I just looked and on the avid website the interface isn't supported under Yosemite. It does have support for mavericks though. Honestly any modern interface that has core audio support should work with Logic pro x, just as long you have the correct port(s). You could try rolling back to mavericks if you don't want to get a new interface.

Apr 4, 2015 8:19 AM in response to thomasblondet

When Logic developers are developing Logic they have Apogee Ensemble hooked up

Sadly this is untrue......

They may use an Apogee interface at times but it is not the only interface they use/test during development....

Thats not to say an Ensemble is not a good interface because typically it is.. but it's not true to claim its all the Logic Devs use and test on...

Apr 3, 2015 4:11 PM in response to thomasblondet

Art speaks the truth, as usual. Ensemble, whilst an excellent interface is not the only one the Devs use. Your opinion of the Ensemble is also subjective. For example, and to give balance, I moved to an Apollo from an Ensemble and it is awesome. Again, my opinion is also subjective. Both interface are great, the Ensemble suits your needs, the Apollo mine.

When Mountain Lion came out it was quite a while before Apogee issued a compatible driver even though their site said it was compatible. It caught lots of Ensemble users out who instantly upgraded (I never upgrade unless I absolutely have to). So the dev teams may not work quite as closely as you may think.

MOTU, RME and UAD had drivers out on the day of OS release.

Apr 4, 2015 8:30 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Okay...hmmm. Now thoroughly confused! I need to do my research. I am ignorant of what MOTU, RME and UAD are?

I was stuck in Protools nomenclature for the last 10 years and I am migrating to Log Pro X. The older interface I have for Protools "MBox Pro 2" won't work with my operating system (Yosemite) so I want to buy a nice interface(s) portable (like the duet) and a good for gigs (Quartet).

All my microphones (Rhode, Nueman and AKG) are XLR and need 48v phantom power. Thanks for the help!

Apr 4, 2015 9:26 AM in response to Henneberry

Motu

http://www.motu.com

I exclusively use the Motu Ultralite here...

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3

But for more complex Mic based recording projects I use an additional 8Pre...

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre

As for the others....

RME

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/index.php

UAD

http://www.uaudio.com

Welcome to the new world 🙂

Cheers..

Nigel

Apr 4, 2015 9:48 AM in response to Henneberry

This is what Apogee told me that the Developers of Logic X use the Ensemble and other Apogee interfaces. Personally I have had the MOTU ultralite and then the Apollo. With Apogee you can monitor the effects inside of logic with no latency. so if you are recording a vocalist you can add reverb and or delay for the singer. apollo and motu have this but not integrated within Logic like Apogee does. Also having this integrated in Logic helps your work flow. Unlike apollo where you always have to open the console to make these adjustments. also the plugins with apollo are such a pain to work with always running out of processing power and i had a quad core. also i noticed it takes logic longer to open projects that have UAD plugins in them. I like to create fast and have easy work flow. and i just got the ensemble last sat and my work flow is so much faster and easier with logic. this is just my opinion so i hope it helps you.

Apr 4, 2015 9:50 AM in response to Henneberry

MOTU drivers are rock solid and always come out with the new OS.

My older MOTU 828 Mk2 came out around 2004, still fully functional in Yosemite and the drivers were there the day Yosemite came out.

The value of an interface, especially for us when we're connecting them to our computers, does not just rely on the quality of the interface. The best A/D, D/A in the world are useless unless it can also talk to our OS.

Apr 4, 2015 2:39 PM in response to thomasblondet

This is what Apogee told me that the Developers of Logic X use the Ensemble and other Apogee interfaces.

That could well be true.. but they don't use the Ensemble and other Apogee products, exclusively.... as we could tell after the Mountain Lion debacle with Apogee Drivers not being fully functional for quite some time...

apollo and motu have this but not integrated within Logic like Apogee does

Indeed and a very useful feature that is...

However, I know that Motu are currently working on adding that functionality to their drivers.. now it is available in a stable combo of OS X and Logic Pro X.... Not sure about UAD/Apollo... but it wouldn't surprise me if they were working on new drivers and support for this feature in LPX too, now. 🙂

Again, the Ensemble is a very good interface.. No arguments from me on that, but.. my hesitation on recommending it or any Apogee interface whole heartedly and unreservedly, stems from the serious drivers issues faced by most of the Ensemble/Apogee owners when ML came out.. and the length of time it took Apogee to resolve those issues... which was a nightmare for the clients I have, that use Apogee interfaces.. I really don't ever want to go through that horror-fest again!

Cheers..

Nigel

Apr 4, 2015 3:35 PM in response to Henneberry

Just to round things out I use RME hardware and have never had a problem, excellent drivers. I take that back years ago there was a hardware compatibility issue and I had to send an RME card back to the company for a firmware upgrade. (soldered chip)

For my budget location recording system I use two FireStudio Project interfaces, total 16 tracks. (but that runs off a PC laptop)

Logic Pro X Compatible Hardware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.