Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop iMesssages/texts sent to a group from Messages app on MacBook from starting a new group thread?

Whenever I try sending group iMessages on my MacBook using Messages, it keeps splitting into a new thread on our phones. There are 4 of us in the group that I've tried this with and it splits for all of us even though on my computer it is saying that I am sending to the original group that is custom named. One of the guys in the group is able to use his MacBook (same year/model/OS) without any problems of splitting, so we aren't sure what the problem is or how to fix it.

I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, but it's been doing this ever since iOS 8 and Yosemite first came out.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 9:06 AM

1 reply

Apr 1, 2015 1:28 PM in response to RoshBaby2

Hi,

I have only tried group chats a couple of times.

I have just added the name I wanted to the "To" box after enabling a "New Chat".

I do know that unlike AIM or a Jabber Chat people can't leave you have to restart a fresh group and exclude the people you don't want (same if you want to add people).

I have not thought to try renaming such a chat.

I would try building the group from scratch rather then trying to make it use and old name. (I have difficulty accessing some chats pre my Yosemite Upgrade)

User uploaded file

9:28 pm Wednesday; April 1, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

How do I stop iMesssages/texts sent to a group from Messages app on MacBook from starting a new group thread?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.