Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent iPhone from joining company wifi

I have a company issued MacBook Pro 15" Retina and a personally owned iPhone 6+ running iOS 8.2. My MBP automatically connects to the company's Wifi but my iPhone automatically connects as well. I've tried on the iPhone going to Settings --> Wifi ---> Clicked on wifi name and Forget This Network. But when I do this, the next morning, my MBP does not auto connect to the Wifi. If I join the Wifi Network on the MBP, my iPhone then automatically connects. I know everytime I go to work, I can turn off Wifi on my iPhone... but it's becoming a hassle... because I have a lot of home automation e.g. Lyric, Hue etc..

Is there a way, for my MBP to only connect to my company's wifi and not have my iPhone connect to it as well without turning wifi off?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 7:24 AM

Hello MrLemonGrass,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If your iPhone is automatically joining a network, even after disconnecting from it, then it appears you may have iCloud Keychain on. iCloud Keychain syncs your previously connected Wi-Fi networks between your devices. As the iPhone is designed to automatically connect to remembered Wi-Fi networks, you would need to disable iCloud Keychain on one of the devices.

Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2015 7:24 AM in response to MrLemonGrass

Hello MrLemonGrass,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If your iPhone is automatically joining a network, even after disconnecting from it, then it appears you may have iCloud Keychain on. iCloud Keychain syncs your previously connected Wi-Fi networks between your devices. As the iPhone is designed to automatically connect to remembered Wi-Fi networks, you would need to disable iCloud Keychain on one of the devices.

Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Apr 21, 2016 5:44 AM in response to Max Nanasy

Doesn't seem like there is a way. I suggest we all submit this to Apple's iCloud feedback (or maybe iPhone feedback, not sure).

Here's what I wrote in case you want to copy paste:

With iCloud keychain turned on, wifi passwords are synced which is great. However not every wifi network should be automatically joined by both devices and there is no way to override this behavior.

I have a company issued macbook pro and a personal iPhone. My iPhone is always trying to join our corporate network, which I absolutely do not want to happen. If I forget the wifi network on my iPhone, my MBP also forgets the network.

There needs to be a way to forget the network on one device, but not the others.

Prevent iPhone from joining company wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.