Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downloader.Ponik!gen9"

hello,

having run a norton check I found "downloader.Ponik!gen9" on my MacBook Air 2 - apparently this is a serious virus/trojan threat but the path listed by norton doesn't seem to exist: /Users/lhg/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail Downloads/1B84350A-

any ideas on how I how can I delete it?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 4:12 PM

More importantly find out how to uninstall the less than useless Norton product before it cripples your mac. As usual it has identified a windows trojan that affects OLD windows systems, Win 7 is the newest. http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2014-090416-1432-99

5 replies

Apr 2, 2015 1:16 AM in response to SeaPapp

hi mike,

yeah! I've been wondering about norton - my macbook has really slowed down since i installed it. do you know of any anti-virus software i should replace it with or do i not need to bother? Any idea how I re-install the system software (latest OS X) as I do not have a disk - or a disc drive for that matter!

thanks, lhgSE6

Apr 2, 2015 3:59 AM in response to Community User

Norton is one of the three worst applications ever written for a mac, it will slow you down. You don't need virus protection for Macs because there are no viruses. There is other types of malware out there but apps like Norton don't scan for them, they're looking for a virus. Give Thomas Reeds site a look for best practices to stay safe http://www.thesafemac.com/

If you need to reinstall OS X you can use Recovery by restarting while holding the Command-R keys OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Normally I would say to keep OS X up to date but Yosemite is a such a ram hog that I don't recommend that unless I know someone has at least 4GB of ram.

downloader.Ponik!gen9"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.