Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

extend wireless network from Uverse/Motorola 1ZVDC via Airport express

After spending 2+ hours trying to extend son's network via A Express, can this be done straight from his uVerse Motorola 1ZVDC modem? I can get the express to show up, but will not work/extend network, and doesn't show up in wireless menu; only in airport utility :-(

Now I saw an old post which says express cannot expand network from non-apple modem. Is this correct? I don't think he wants to pay for Extreme + express. I am certain that, at my other residence, I am using an express directly paired to my uVerse. Here, main residence, I have 3 paired with Extreme.

He had bought a cheap extender which has to be plugged into USB on computer (wouldn't this be the modem?). I was positive the express would do the job.

His setup: OS X.6.8

Airport: 5.6.1

uVerse Motorola: 1ZVDC

Apple Express:one below

User uploaded file

What if I plug the express directly into the modem? Of course, probably won't extend network, which is my objective.

If I give him my old extreme, what are advantages to new one?

TY for your help.

Ruth

MacBook, iMac, iPhone4, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 4:24 PM

You cannot use extend to other brands.. it is apple proprietary method of repeater.

What if I plug the express directly into the modem? Of course, probably won't extend network, which is my objective.

You can always plug in by ethernet and setup the express to create a wireless network with the same name and same credentials as the existing wireless.. this is called roaming network and is far superior to extend.

If ethernet does not allow you to place the unit in the right place.. you can try EOP adapters. (homeplug in the US).

You can extend wireless by plugging the extreme into the main modem.. setup wireless to create a wireless network.. the Express can extend an apple wireless network.

However please do understand the restrictions.. extend will halve the speed at best.. at worst it will be too slow to be usable. And the range can still be poor.. apple do not make wireless powerhouses.. they are average at best.

He had bought a cheap extender which has to be plugged into USB on computer (wouldn't this be the modem?). I was positive the express would do the job.

If it is a universal extender it should work but needs to be located where the signal is still good.. USB is probably just for power.

If the computer cannot pick up wireless signal then the extender cannot work either.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 4:24 PM in response to ramcclain

You cannot use extend to other brands.. it is apple proprietary method of repeater.

You can always plug in by ethernet and setup the express to create a wireless network with the same name and same credentials as the existing wireless.. this is called roaming network and is far superior to extend.

If ethernet does not allow you to place the unit in the right place.. you can try EOP adapters. (homeplug in the US).

You can extend wireless by plugging the extreme into the main modem.. setup wireless to create a wireless network.. the Express can extend an apple wireless network.

However please do understand the restrictions.. extend will halve the speed at best.. at worst it will be too slow to be usable. And the range can still be poor.. apple do not make wireless powerhouses.. they are average at best.

If it is a universal extender it should work but needs to be located where the signal is still good.. USB is probably just for power.

If the computer cannot pick up wireless signal then the extender cannot work either.

extend wireless network from Uverse/Motorola 1ZVDC via Airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.