Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i use iTunes match. my songs are on an external drive. i had the drive unmounted. when i tried to play a song it couldn't locate it. now iTunes says the file is in iCloud and not on my hard drive.

i use iTunes match. my songs are on an external drive. i had the drive unmounted. when i tried to play a song it couldn't locate it. now iTunes says the file is in iCloud and not on my hard drive.

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 1:50 PM

Go to Preferences > Advanced and make sure that the iTunes Media Folder Location is still set to the external, and that the external is accessible.

4 replies

Apr 1, 2015 1:54 PM in response to ed2345

i know how to make certain the hard drive is accessible. the problem is the aftermath of having it unaccessible. if i forget i have unmounted the drive and click on a song, then the song now appears to be located in iCloud and not on my hard drive altho all my other songs are ok. an iCloud icon appears to the side. it just seems like apple is making things difficult unless you buy all your songs from iTunes. thanks for the reply.

Apr 1, 2015 3:07 PM in response to 59Strat59

59Start,

For whatever reason, iTunes has always worked such that if the iTunes Media Folder is inaccessible at the time of start, it will revert to the local drive. And as you noticed, it does not undo that change if the external eventually gets re-mounted.

If you would like to make a suggestion to Apple, use the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.