Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tiny spots on glass

I've had my iPhone 6 Plus for about a month and I now notice a couple of tiny spots (about 1mm across) on the glass towards the top of the screen. I'm pretty sure these were not there when I bought it, so they must be due to wear and tear (just carrying it in my pocket).

I have tried glass cleaner, rubbing with a micro fiver cloth, etc. They don't seem to be scratches, but rather places of less shine than the rest of the screen (abrasion?) Perhaps these are places where the oleophobic coating rubbed off? I have the iPhone in a case, but the case covers only the back.

The spots are not major, and they are not directly over the image area of the phone, but I worry that this kind of damage could spread.

Is this kind of problem common? Should I purchase a case that covers the front as well as the back (as far as I know, Apple's own cases do not). Is there a way to fix this damage? I had my iPod touch for 7 years of regular use, and the screen of that device is still in pristine condition.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.2, 128 GB

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 2:56 PM

Where are they?

On mine, being Space Gray, that entails a totally black front. To the left of the speaker I started noticing a "spot"! Oops… front camera… Then TWO spots, above the speaker. At least one proved to be the "ear detector" that blanks out the screen when answering, to avoid "cheek dialing". The other I'm assuming is the ambient light detector used for screen dimming control.

Mine has lived in a Griffin Survivor All Terrain from Day One. It incorporates a full screen protector. Given that both my iPad and the previous iPhone 5 took tumbles and survived thanks to their Lifeproof cases, wouldn't risk the i6+ monster without one. The Lifeproof would have been slimmer and less military looking, but wasn't available in time. They just finally came out with the nüüd model for the i6+.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

Where are they?

On mine, being Space Gray, that entails a totally black front. To the left of the speaker I started noticing a "spot"! Oops… front camera… Then TWO spots, above the speaker. At least one proved to be the "ear detector" that blanks out the screen when answering, to avoid "cheek dialing". The other I'm assuming is the ambient light detector used for screen dimming control.

Mine has lived in a Griffin Survivor All Terrain from Day One. It incorporates a full screen protector. Given that both my iPad and the previous iPhone 5 took tumbles and survived thanks to their Lifeproof cases, wouldn't risk the i6+ monster without one. The Lifeproof would have been slimmer and less military looking, but wasn't available in time. They just finally came out with the nüüd model for the i6+.

Tiny spots on glass

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.