Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Native (without-app) support for HealthKit

Do any health measuring devices (scales, BP monitors) feed directly into the Health app, without going through the manufacturer’s proprietary app?

I’ve been shopping for wireless scales and blood pressure monitors, and I think it would be easier to meet my goals if the instruments would simply dump their measurements directly into the Health app via HealthKit. The only wireless instruments I can find have proprietary apps to read the weight, blood pressure, heart rate, etc. Only some of these apps claim they are HealthKit-compatible.

Nine months after HealthKit became available to the public, not mentioning HK says something pretty dismal about how committed those manufacturers are to maintaining their products. One FAQ list promises support “in the near future;” it was posted half a year ago. Another boasts convenient data transfer through a wire with a state-of-the-art 30-pin connector! Now we’re cookin’ with gas!

Everything I read about HealthKit “support” says you are expected to open the proprietary apps, and have them bounce the data into Health. For my taste, this isn’t much more convenient than directly typing measurements from cheaper, non-wireless instruments; it doesn’t justify the expense.

Last June, right after the introduction at WWDC, 9to5Mac ran an article saying that HealthKit would be able to read some instruments directly, without the manufacturers’ having to write any apps. That’s the last word I can find on it.

Has the feature been dropped? I can imagine the manufacturers’ being difficult about it.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 10:23 AM

1 reply

Apr 1, 2015 1:55 PM in response to Fritz Anderson

I use a Withings scale. Yes, it requires the Withings apps but syncing has been pretty seamless. The HealthKit framework is designed to allow applications to share information. At this point, it doesn't appear to be designed to allow devices to share information with the Health app directly. Given the fairly rudimentary nature of the way information is displayed by Health, this makes sense. Health is great for making sure that the weight data from my Withings scale gets synced to My Fitness Pal and Runkeeper. It's far more useful to me to see my weight data in MFP where it is used with the food diary and the movement data from my UP24 to give me a good picture of what I need to be doing. Health just doesn't really compare. It gives you basic graphs and that's about it.

So, I guess what I'm saying is don't discount the scales that require an app. The Withings app is very nice. It also lets me take my resting pulse every morning (which is sent to Health).

Submit your feedback directly to Apple using the appropriate link on the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Native (without-app) support for HealthKit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.