Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I created a document in Pages 5.2, emailed it to someone, who emailed it back with changes, but I cannot open it now. Why?

I created a document in Pages 5.2. I emailed this document to a friend through gmail in Safari. My friend made changes and emailed it back to me. When I click to download the document, Pages tells me it cannot open it. I have created 4 documents like this and each one has had the same problem when emailed back to me. Why?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), I am not using Pages in iWork

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 12:56 PM

13 replies

Apr 1, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Artius2015

Additionally, I have never used Pages before. I have always used Microsoft Office for the Mac. This is a refurbished computer that I have only had for one week, so it is unclear to me why I wouldn't be able to open my own document that I created in Pages when it is sent back to me.

This has not been solved. I accidentally clicked on the solved button and I do not know how to unclick it.

Apr 1, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Kappy

My friend is using Pages 4.3. How do I save it at the lower version? And if I want to save the document as something else, how do I do that? In Word, there was an option to do "save as". In Pages, it's either save or "save as template" and I don't want to save as a template. I just want to create another version but under a different name or file extension.

Apr 1, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Artius2015

If you are also using Pages, but version 5.2, then I'm not sure how they read it if they are using 4.3. But for the two of you not to have problems you need to use the same version of Pages because as OS X has changed from Lion to Mountain Lion to Mavericks to Yosemite Apple has changed the version of Pages, but each version of Pages is not fully downward compatible.

If they cannot upgrade OS X in order to use the Yosemite version of Pages that you use, then you should use Word documents. They should be able to Import/Read a Word document as well as Save or Export in Word format. Of course, they could just start using Office for OS X 2011 which would make things better all around.

Apr 1, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Kappy

She is using Pages 4.3. I have Pages 5.2. How do I save it with the extension for 4.3? It's actually annoying that a newer version of Pages can't read an older version. Word never had that problem. Also do you know how to do a "save as"? Pages only gives me an option to do "save as template" and I don't want to save as a template, I merely want to save a different version of the document with a different name and/or extension. Thank you for all your help.

I created a document in Pages 5.2, emailed it to someone, who emailed it back with changes, but I cannot open it now. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.