Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reset an IPad 2 to factory settings without access to itunes account?

I bought a used IPad 2 from a rent to own store. When the Ipad was returned to store, the customer service rep did not check to see if Ipad was functioning properly and that customer info had been deleted off Ipad to protect that persons info that may be on it. We found out after I purchased, that it wasn't done. After checking their records, they had a hard time getting in contact with customer for either payment or returning item. After 6 months of no contact, he returned ipad. The customer left the passcode on it. From what I can tell, their info/apps/programs are still on it. The store has made numerous attempts to contact customer to get passcode so it can be reset to factory. But no luck. Part of the reason I haven't returned to store is I bought the Ipad while living in Canada. I am now in US. I would like to use it. Returning it is an option. and getting a full refund. Just a little more hassle to deal with.

Is there a way to reset Ipad to Factory settings without passcode on lock screen, or without itunes that it may or may not have been synced to? I do NOT want to have access to any information that the previous owner had on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

iPad 2

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 1:12 PM

You can put it in recovery mode and restore iOS to it, but if the previous owner had an iCloud account set up on it and Find my iPhone turned on it will still be a brick.

There is no way to bypass the activation lock.

3 replies

Apr 1, 2015 1:59 PM in response to sramsey63

If you are trying to activate an iPad or iPhone and it is asking for a previous owners Apple ID and password, you have encountered the Activation Lock. This is a security feature that prevents thieves from setting up and using a stolen or lost iPad or iPhone. You have no alternative. You must contact the previous owner to get permission to use the device. If you cannot contact the previous owner return the device to where you bought it and get a refund. You will never be able to activate the device and no one can help you do it. Your best bet is to return the iPad, get a refund and purchase a new iPad from a reputable source.

How do I reset an IPad 2 to factory settings without access to itunes account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.