Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to complain to Apple about some bad information I was given by one of their agents

I was recently scammed (although I didn't know it at the time). I was aware that rarely do Apple users get scammed and when a window started flashing on my iMac screen telling me the computer had been compromised and giving a tel# for support, since the computer was frozen, I called the number, listened to their spiel, became cautious and hung up. I called a local Apple store and asked the agent if the 800 number I gave to her was a valid Apple number (after explaining the freeze) and she said yes, it was. I decided since it was an Apple number, I would go with the purge of the 'Zeus Trojan Virus' they claimed I had acquired about a week ago (I'm sure it was placed by them). It cost $299.99 for the purge and an additional firewall. Still suspicious, I managed to get Apple's number off the computer (which I couldn't when it was frozen) and talked with another Apple agent. She said I had been scammed. I wish Apple had given their local agent an education in how to handle calls like mine and thereby educate the Apple public. Evidently the first agent had never heard of a possible scam or she didn't understand my question. Who (and how) would I contact Apple to let them know their products are being scammed?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 1:43 PM

Call Apple Customer Relations (1-800) 275-2273. Wait for a human to come on the line and ask politely and firmly that you want to be transferred over to the Customer Relations department.

User uploaded file

8 replies

Apr 1, 2015 12:47 PM in response to ecady

That was some extremely bad advice from the first Apple rep you talked to. The scammers removed nothing, other than maybe some random system files. Zeus is Windows only malware, so it was impossible for you to be infected with it to begin with.

Call your credit card company and do four things immediately.

1) Explain what happened and have them reverse the charges.

2) Have that card cancelled and a new one issued. They have the number now and can use it to make fraudulent purchases, or sell the number to other crooks who will.

3) There's no telling what else they may have done. Such as copying personal data, or having you install a keylogger. Because of these possibilities, erasing the drive and reinstalling everything from scratch is a must. Manually backup your personal data, erase the drive, reinstall the OS and your third party software (NOTHING they had you install) and manually restore your personal data. You must do this before number 4.

4). With the drive cleaned of any possible malware that would allow them to watch what you're doing, go online and change the passwords of every site you visit that has that information. Start with your bank.

Apr 1, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you very much for your comments. Before I had my computer 'purged', I had already cancelled credit cards and had a hold put on ll my bank accounts. I've already got replacements in motion.

Since I had cancelled usual checking acct. I had to write a check from a seldom used account which has never had info on the net. I scanned it for them and mailed it. This AM I cancelled the check at that bank.

I am unfamiliar with 'keylogger.' So I think I'd better seek professional help with this backing up and erasing since my computing skills are about - I know hoe to turn my iMac on.

I am printing out your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Apr 1, 2015 2:32 PM in response to ecady

ecady wrote:

I was recently scammed (although I didn't know it at the time). I was aware that rarely do Apple users get scammed and when a window started flashing on my iMac screen telling me the computer had been compromised and giving a tel# for support, since the computer was frozen, I called the number, listened to their spiel, became cautious and hung up. I called a local Apple store

Was this an actual Apple retail store (see this -> http://www.apple.com/retail/) or a computer store that sells Apple products?

Apr 1, 2015 2:35 PM in response to ecady

A keylogger, which they may have had you install (and told you it was a firewall), captures every single thing you type on your keyboard and send the data to a server of their choosing. The hope is to catch you typing in both the web address of your bank along with your login ID and password. Then they're clear out your checking and savings accounts as fast as they can. It's also used to capture any web site you log into and type in a credit card number. They capture your name, the card number and the all important three number security code so it can be used for fraudulent purchases.

Very wise of you to cancel cards and secure your bank accounts.

Apr 1, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Chris CA

It was an actual Apple store. I guess she just didn't understand what I was asking, but then she should have voiced her confusion. They need training since Apple products are rarely compromised.It all turned out all right, though. I called Apple Customer Relations re the agent and they cleaned up anything done by the hacker online. It didn't take very long and Carol, my contact, was extremely knowledgeable. And nice, too!

Apr 1, 2015 3:54 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Good news - Apple Customer Support helped me clean up the detritus the hackers left behind. I am sure everything is safe now. The only thing she had me keep is their worthless agreement.They didn't have me install the keylogger. Maybe they take pity on senior citizens??? If it didn't have 'Apple' in front of it, it is no longer in my computer.Luckily, I don't use my computer for much other than email. My greatest worry was bank accounts and credit cards, which were already blocked before they started their 'purge.' Phew! So kind of you to take the time to help me.

How to complain to Apple about some bad information I was given by one of their agents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.