Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the Time Capsule as an external hard drive?

I am out of memory on my 2011/12 macbook pro (8GB) I am considering purchasing a time capsule to archive photos and use as an external hard drive. I have a few questions:

1) Is the time capsule a good option to use as an external hard drive, or is it meant more for carbon copy/back up of my current hard drive?

2) Can I store files ONLY on the time capsule and not have them on my MacBook's hard drive to free up space?

3) I also need to update my internet router, is this a great router? Or are there better options out there when it comes to speed and strength?

4) Will it make my computer run slower due to the constant back ups and connection?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

Thunderbolt Display-OTHER, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 10:51 AM

9 replies

Apr 1, 2015 10:54 AM in response to JJANDERS

1. It's meant for backups only. Use a regular external drive instead.

2. Yes, but anything you'd like to keep should be on at least two drives; one may fail at any time. In addition, if they're backed up with Time Machine and then deleted from the internal drive, they'll eventually be deleted from the backup.

(125265)

Can I use the Time Capsule as an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.