Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 4 location services not working after returning home

I found a discussion about my problem through an Internet search. The discussion was dated in 2011. I am hopeful a solution to this has been found by now. My location services were working perfectly before I took my ipad with me on vacation. At the hotel, the location services worked perfectly. When I returned home, the iPad still showed my location at the hotel where I stayed. I connected to other wifi's and the location services work fine. When I come home, the location service still shows me at the last place where it worked. Anyone help? Apple tech says it is the internet provider. Yet it worked on this same Internet provider before I used the iPad on vacation. Thanks.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 1:22 PM

2 replies

Apr 1, 2015 2:03 PM in response to mmhodge

I'm assuming this is a Wi-Fi only iPad, correct?

Wi-Fi only iPads do not have a GPS chip. Locations are determined through the Wi-Fi router and the service provider. If you changed your router or your internet service changed something the iPad may not determine its location accurately.

Try the simple step first. Reboot your router by turning it off, waiting at least 30 seconds, then turn it back on. After the router has completed its startup routine and indicates a good connection to the internet reset your iPad. Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button continuously until the Apple logo appears. Then release the button and let the device restart. You will not lose data doing this. It's like a computer reboot.

Hopefully after the iPad has restarted the problem will be corrected.

Apr 1, 2015 3:21 PM in response to Ralph9430

Thanks Ralph. I have tried all the standard stuff. Still will not locate me at home. Shows the last wifi network where location services worked as being my current location. It is wifi only. My frustration is that location services worked perfectly on my home wifi until I connected to another wifi at my hotel ( where it worked perfectly) and returned home. Back at home the location services still showed me at the hotel. I have done complete reset/restore and all of the disconnect/reconnect, reboot, etc. Still shows me at the last wifi where location services worked. Of course, Apple says it is the internet provider. Internet provider tried to open a port based on a list of ports Apple supplied and changed my IP address. Still not connecting.

iPad 4 location services not working after returning home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.