Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Separate iCloud account on IMAC

I share apple id with my wife that works great for sharing our purchases.

On our Phones we uses separate iCloud ids. This helps us with messaging and managing our contacts, etc.

On our IMAC, I set up the apple ID and it creates an ICLOUD associated email called Appleid.icloud.

I can not change this to manage my messages or sync anything. There seems to be no way to use a separate iCloud id on the mac as I can on iPhone and iPads. What am I missing?

thanks

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 3:46 PM

8 replies

Apr 7, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I guess I am having a difficult time understanding the relationship between an Apple ID and an iCloud ID. On our devices we share the Apple ID but have separate iCloud ID's. Works fine.

I tried to set up my iCloud ID on the IMAC and it is linked to out Joint Apple ID. I am not able to unlink it so that I can use the IMAC with my photos, contacts, etc. So i need to just create One User for the IMac for now, then I will hopefully create a user for my wife using our Joint Apple ID and HER iCloud ID as we do with out devices. I know I am missing something.

Thanks

Apr 7, 2015 8:18 AM in response to JackVa1

There is only one ID which is the 'Apple ID', you use this ID with iTunes, iCloud, FaceTime, iBooks, iMessage etc. You can use the same ID for all these services or use more than one ID across these services, this later option is often used where people don't want to share messages, documents, contacts, photos etc etc with someone else (in which case they'll use their own ID) but want to share purchased content such as music etc (in which case 2 or more people will use the same ID).

Apr 7, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Winston Churchill

this later option is often used where people don't want to share messages, documents, contacts, photos etc etc with someone else (in which case they'll use their own ID) but want to share purchased content such as music etc (in which case 2 or more people will use the same ID).

Or when Apple forces you to use a different AppleID with iCloud, because the AppleID used with the iTunes Store or AppStore is not an email address and iCloud does not accept it 😠

Dec 28, 2015 9:48 AM in response to léonie

First time question so sorry if out of school.

I as well have a "main" Apple ID for purchases on my iPhone, wife's iPhone and two children's iPods, one MBAir and primary iMac (main System Photo Library and iTunes Library). Each has their own Apple ID for iMessage etc.

As my children get older I'd like to create multiple individual iPhoto Libraries for each child's Apple ID to upload to individual iCloud accounts using one MBAir?

Do I set up different users on the iMac and each user has a separate "System Photo Library" to which sync to iCloud? Or is the "System Photo Library" the OS and not the user?

Dec 28, 2015 11:50 AM in response to Jbart592

Do I set up different users on the iMac and each user has a separate "System Photo Library" to which sync to iCloud? Or is the "System Photo Library" the OS and not the user?

Yes, set up different user accounts for your children, so they can have their own iTunes Library, Photos Library, Mail account, etc. Each user can have a separate System Photos Library.

Dec 28, 2015 2:46 PM in response to léonie

Perfect, and thank you so much for the reply. Another question on the same topic?

How would I move the entire family (*System Photo Library) of 30,000 +/- photos and videos to a new user on the same iMac machine?

I'm thinking about setting up a new iMac user and iCloud account (on the main home computer) and move (?) all photos and videos (currently listed under my wife's user name - but not linked to any specific iCloud account and not backed up externally yet).

My goal (may be wrong) is to create a "main" iCloud account for backup of family docs, photos, videos etc. for sharing by all family devices? *** all while leaving my wife's User info intact on the iMac and keep our individual iCloud info intact on each device.

Appears (from reading all afternoon) the family backup and sharing of one iCloud Photo account is not available like made available in iTunes/App Store?

Separate iCloud account on IMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.