Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charge iphone 5s with 1000mA or 2000mA

Hi,

I just got my first iPhone (5s) and notice that the charger output is 500mA. The question is, I have another USB chargers with the following specifications:

1) Samgung charger - output is 700mA

2) Car Charger with 2 USB where one of them the output is 1000mA and the other one is 2000mA

My question is: Can i use one of these chargers with differente mA outputs with my iPhone 5s without any risk to damage the device?

I saw that iPad chargers can be used to charge iPhones too and the output for these chargers are 21000mA: Using iPad power adapters with your iPhone, iPad, and iPod - Apple Support

Quote: "While these USB power adapters are designed for use with your iPad, you can charge all iPhone and iPod models by connecting them with either a Lightning to USB Cable or a 30-pin to USB cable."

Thanks;

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 1:28 PM

11 replies

Apr 1, 2015 1:40 PM in response to EduBatera

You can use a higher wattage charger with no problem. Note that in the Compatibility section of the following links for the 5W iPhone charger and the 12W iPad charger, both are shown as compatible with the iPhone:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD810LL/A/apple-5w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=48

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=48

Apr 1, 2015 1:38 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your comment Kappy,

But, Im not sure why this will damage using another one and not damage if using the iPad.... note that the iPad Charger output is higher (21000mA) compared to the other ones (700mA, 1000mA and 2000mA). Also why they will no longer service my device since they are usb chargers like any other one (an PC or MAC usb port for example)...

Apr 1, 2015 1:48 PM in response to EduBatera

It can't be 21,000 mA. More like 2,100 mA. which is about right for 12 watts at 5 volts. Furthermore, I didn't say it would damage, but if damage were done using another charger Apple won't service the device. I also stated you could use either Apple charger. It would help to read my reply more carefully to see I told you the same thing as the other responder. I fail to see, then, how what I said is "less sense."

Apr 1, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

I read your reply but that was not clear. Lets see:

Kappy wrote:

....."but should the device suffer any damage while using these third-party chargers, Apple will no longer service your device."....

I'm taking about specific mA and W outputs (Electricity) not about being a thrid-party charger. Also, how can Apple know IF I have used a "Third-Party" charger or not if the specifications and outputs of this charger match with the device?

Apr 2, 2015 7:29 AM in response to EduBatera

ohms law dictates

WATT = Volt * Amps

5 Watt mean 5volt (it's a given with ios devices) 1amp

12Watt mean 5volts 2.4Amps

amps are not pushed they are an indicator of how much power a connected device can consume from the charger before the charger cave in and have to lower the volts

so you can charge your ios device with 20000000000Amps without any issues

the volts and the Internal resistance of your ios device will set how much amps your ios device will draw

Apr 2, 2015 8:22 AM in response to EduBatera

Just found the information:

Yes, you can use 1000mA or 2000mA.

Also, my mistake about the original charger. The correct output is 5W, 1000mA.

About a thirdparty, yes you can use but just some are approved such as Belkin, Techlink, etc http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/iphone-accessories/car-audio

Thank you guys.

Hope this also help any other with the same question.

Charge iphone 5s with 1000mA or 2000mA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.