Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro randomly restarts and beeps 3 times every 5 seconds or so before start up

My macbook pro (15 inch, mid-2012) keeps randomly restarting. So far in the past 4 hours, it has restarted 15 times. In the 2 weeks prior, it has randomly restarted 4 times, but it is now getting more frequent. When it restarts/what I am doing while it restarts is different. Most of the time it restarts when I am on the log in page. I click on my name, and the computer is then frozen and won't let me enter in my password and then it goes to black and then gray. Most of the time when it restarts it just goes to a gray screen with the apple and a progress bar. 3 of the times, it has displayed the gray screen "your computer is restarting because of a problem...." screen. Additionally, it has restarted when I was on safari and when I was typing in pages (don't know if this is important but the 3 times it restarted when I was in pages, I was typing the same exact word and it restarted after the same letter in that word, it was kinda humorous).

About 3 times in the past 2 weeks (including 2 times today), it doesn't restart but actually shuts down. Then when I go to click the power button, the screen stays black and starts beeping. There is 3 beeps about ever 5 seconds. I have read that this is a problem with the RAM, but I don't know how that correlates with the other stuff that is going on.

I have no idea the pattern in this or where to begin troubleshooting as I don't know if it is a software or hardware issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 12:12 PM

2 replies

Macbook pro randomly restarts and beeps 3 times every 5 seconds or so before start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.