Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can two computers share one iTunes library?

I am trying to map out a new plan for how we store and play music via iTunes at home. Currently, our music is stored on a windows PC and played via iTunes and an airport express. I recently bought a new macbook and am considering an airport extreme with the hope that I can store the music on a hard drive attached to the airport extreme and play music from either computer. Can the two computers share one library? I already have home sharing turned on and can access my library from the macbook, but if possible, I would prefer having the hard drive separate of the desktop. Any reason this won't work?

Thanks!

-JDJ

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 11:47 AM

5 replies

Apr 2, 2015 5:27 AM in response to jdjones15

The main problem you may encounter with Niel's solution is it involves opening the special file which iTunes uses to list the media content you have and where it is located. This is the iTunes Library.itl file and only one computer can have it open at one time. Media can be shared by multiple (and independent) library files but then you have to manage each library file separately and there is potential for conflicts (one person deletes from one library and the link to the media gets broken in the other). In other words, it gets messy which is probably why Home Sharing and Library Sharing was developed. The best (but maybe never ideal) solution will depend upon your exact behavioral patterns in using the media, computers and library.

Apr 2, 2015 5:27 AM in response to jdjones15

Yes, two computers can share the same library.

I normally build and create my iTunes library using a Mac Pro Tower in my study. I have a Mac Mini in the living room connected to my stereo amplifier and television set. I periodically copy my iTunes library from my Mac Pro to the Mac Mini.

As far as I can tell, everything works perfectly.

Apr 1, 2015 9:30 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

Yes, two computers can share the same library.

I periodically copy my iTunes library from my Mac Pro to the Mac Mini.

They aren't using a single library. Each computer is using its own copy and you have two sets of library files. It can certainly be done that way but if between copy sessions you edit a bit of each library then it is a bit of a muddle trying to make sure your versions are synchronized with each other. For example, ratings are stored only in the .itl file, so if you rate a song on your second computer it will get lost the next time you copy over from your first.

Can two computers share one iTunes library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.